..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: CPU
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
Well, I am the proud owner of an Intel Core i5 - 750 CPU. I recently setup the rig, so I have not had the chance to test PCSX2 yet. I will test it after I get everything setup. My rig is in my Signature. If you have any questions, let me know.
i5 and i7 is better clock by clock vs AMD Phenom II.Actualy,overclocked Phenom on 3.8 Ghz is slower in some cases than i5/i7 3 Ghz i7,even in some cases are even.Thats the fact.Only thing that helps AMD vs Intel is price/performance ratio.Phenom II is mainstream,i7 is high end.
But lga 1156 will be main stream in not so long future, its already getting cheaper and cheaper. Btw decode u bought crap Mainboard ;/ for that price u could have way better gigabyte ga-p55m-ud2
I did some research on that Gigabyte board. It is a micro-ATX board. It does not have cross platform SLI/Crossfire like the Intel board that I got has. It is only compatible with Crossfire which would make my other video cards incompatible. Not to mention the second PCI-Express slot operates at x4 when it is in Crossfire. When I pop in my Sli cards in the Intel board, they both run at x8. But that is only because of the p55 chipset limitation/PCI Express controller being on the CPU itself. Not to mention that there is more legroom in the Intel board and the Intel board also has a much better audio card as well as Intel's Nic card. I had a few Gigabyte boards fail on me in the past. I will never touch another one again.
I got a chance to test out this sucker tonight. I tested it with FFX/FFXII. I must say I'm Impressed. The i5 auto OC's to 2.8GHZ when all 4 cores are in use. In the event that only 2 are in use, it jumps to 3.2GHZ. But I never seen it jump that high yet. I have to say that my previous build with an AMD Athlon x2 5000+ (OC to 3GHZ) is a bit outdated. I ran FFX on that old system and the intro would dip into 30-40fps. That is with my current GPU's and 8GB DDR2 ram (4-4-4-12 timings). I was also playing FFXII on it, and it would in places dip into 30-40FPS as well. However, with my new Core i5, the same places I am now getting full 60fps. Granted that was in native resolution. I'm sure if I increased the resolution, it would still be fine. keep in mind, this is with the i5 running at 2.8GHZ. I was going to get the AMD Phenom II setup, but now that the LGA1156 boards and cpus gotten a bit cheaper, I bit the bullet and picked up my new rig. I must say I have never been happier. Everything is fast and I have no issues.
Hmm i thought its also mATX board. My mistake. For me i wuoldnt ever touch Intel boards tough Tongue2 low performance bad OC Tongue. But now at least they can do some OC so they are getting better. Oh and i am not Gigabyte neither.
sure the core i7 is stronger than phenoms, at least there must be something that validates the high price or noone would buy the core i7s Laugh I didnt check up on prices for the core i5 so thats not what im talking about.

But i've got an AMD PhenomII x3 720 overclocked from 2.8 to 3.2ghz and with the penomII amd made a very stable and COOL cpu, on standart clock (2.8ghz) its under 30°C overclocked it gets to 40°C+ but never over 45° in my case. And that with stock fan.

Anyway to get to the point Smile I run all games that i encountered so far at full speed without any problems. Also stuff like God of War.

So i would recommend that cpu anytime. Of course if you bath in money u dont care anyway, just buy the most expensive stuff and you're fine Laugh
The Core i5 was not expensive at all compared to the high tier Phenom II x4's. The Core i5 750 is only $200 USD. So the Core i5 is definitely mainstream, and also beats the fastest Phenom II in most tests. (at stock) I am completely satisfied. I increased the resolution and I am still getting 60fps across the board. I like my Intel board. It does have OC options, and I also got an aftermarket cooler. I will later play around with OC, but the CPU is fast enough for me right now on stock and as well as with Turbo Boost.
Microcenter is selling the Core i5 750 for $150 until the 17th of November. You have to order through their website and pickup in person at one of their stores. I just picked one up last Friday but am still waiting for my Gigabyte UD4P mobo and my 4gb DDR3 1600 RAM (which cost me $203.00 after a combo deal and $20 rebate at newegg.com). That adds up to $353 plus tax for the whole set up (RAM, CPU, Mobo). So I honestly don't know what the AMD fanboys are talking about when they say Intel is very expensive.

edit: the Gigabyte UD4P was awarded Tom'sHardware's 2009 recommended buy in the $150-$200 price range for 1156 mobos.
Gah, you lucky bastards in US. Absolute cheapest for that build here in Australia is $230 for i5 750, $180 for UD4P and $130 for 4GB DDR3 1600Mhz RAM, for a total of AU$540. This is with AU$1 = US$0.931271, which means it's around US$503... a whole 42.5% more expensive T.T
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12