..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: [blog] Threading VU1
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
there's nothing major left that's worth threading aside from possibly IPU; but that will only increase video playback speed and not general gameplay.
threading should also be avoided unless its a big speedup imo due to the extra code and complexity.
What about the VU0? It still goes along with the EE thread at the moment, right? Does threading it give a big speed up just like the MTVU1?
(09-10-2011, 03:23 AM)Livy Wrote: [ -> ]What about the VU0? It still goes along with the EE thread at the moment, right? Does threading it give a big speed up just like the MTVU1?

I already wrote in the blog post that threading VU0 isn't worth it.
EE uses VU0 as a coprocessor, so VU0 needs a lot of syncing which would mean threading it would be a slowdown.
And games don't run too demanding VU0 micro-programs, you can generally get away with running VU0 interpreter while still getting good speed. If you try that with vu1 games generally crawl to 2 fps.
So even if you completely remove the VU0 microprogram overhead, it won't be that big of a speedup.
I will start off by saying thank you. MTVU has increased the performance of pcsx2 on my machine, quad-core I3 (never heard of I3 in a quad-core before I got this).
However, with MTVU turned on I can only save state once. As in, the first attempt is successful, but the next save state attempt always fails no matter when it is done. It doesn't crash, though, it just freezes after saying that it is attempting to save state to the folder.
I thought this was kind of curious since it never happens on the first attempt, but I didn't know if it would be considered a bug.
This is on r4915, in case it's important.
You sure you have free space on your hdd?Tongue As that "bug" seem to happen only to you.
(09-10-2011, 06:00 AM)sholum Wrote: [ -> ]However, with MTVU turned on I can only save state once. As in, the first attempt is successful, but the next save state attempt always fails no matter when it is done.

What game? Happens in other games?
(09-10-2011, 06:00 AM)sholum Wrote: [ -> ]... MTVU has increased the performance of pcsx2 on my machine, quad-core I3 (never heard of I3 in a quad-core before I got this).

You're right to go by what you've heard. In this case, anyway. Laugh

There are no quad core i3 processors.
It's just the Hyper-threading that throws you off. (logical threads, not physical cores)
Sorry for taking forever, been sick lately so my head is kinda fuzzy.
@miseru99
Yes I have enough space on my hdd. I still have 688.02gb on a one tb drive. As I stated previously I only get the problem when MTVU is turned on.

@Rezard
That must be it! My machine doesn't like you to look at what is inside without actually opening it up, but it's all the same as I hope to upgrade soon.
Also, this box was advertised as quad-core, probably an extra option that I missed. But why did I receive a pretty good performance boost?

@Shadow Lady
Happened in Ar Tonelico 2, Kingdom Hearts 2 Final Mix+, and Akai Ito that I tested. I said it didn't crash before, but I meant it doesn't kill it and exit. I have to kill the process to quit.
Just thought of this so I am leaving the rest of the post intact. The most obvious reason if no one else is having this problem is that it is the svn build at fault.
Another possibility is that this only occurs with dual cores, as stated above I thought I had a quad-core. Either way, I will try the svn that this was released on just in case.

Thanks for the help.
sholum: You'll get a boost sometimes with MTVU on (same with a dual core without HT) but you may run into situations where MTVU gives you much worse speeds. It all depends on the game and whether or not it maxes out both threads or not.
@Koji
I see, Ar Tonelico 2 uses layered sprites instead of '3d' polygons so that would explain the boost. So I shouldn't expect the same boost on a game with polygons.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15