Calling all Translators! PCSX2 GUI is ready for translation!
EDIT:
http://code.google.com/p/pcsx2/issues/detail?id=921

Sponsored links

I recalled my aforementioned OK among other buttons are missing for translation.
http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-Calling-a...#pid146474

You can manually add it to the end of main PO for the moment, until official update for POTs. For example:
Code:
msgid "&OK"
msgstr "確定"

The dedicated googlecode issue for missing items in POT:
Issue 915: [Translation] Missing entries in POT-file
durable PC since 2008
CPU : E7200 @ 2.53 GHz 1.04 V / OC 3.7 GHz 1.36 V (390*9.5, 4GB DDR2 780)
GPU : 8600GT (GDDR3, 256 MB) / OC (750 / 900)
BOARD : GA-EP31-DS3L (rev 1.0) broken and bought a second hand one replaced
PSU : 300 W
'll do Russian translation.
<<< [AMD Phenom II x6 1090T 3.6 GHz][ASUS GTX275][HDD 5TB][8Gb RAM] WinXP (x86) & Win7 (x64) >>>
I'll be doing a major POT revision shortly.

Several of the translation strings in the current pcsx2_Main.pot file are currently devbuild only; and not at all important for useful translation. I'm moving them to a separate POT. It's possible that future versions of PCSX2 will have most or all devbuild features included, but even then the devbuild stuff is only needed for devs or serious enthusiasts -- so translation priority is minimal.

I'll make the new POTs as soon as I finish and merge the new savestate system.
Jake Stine (Air) - Programmer - PCSX2 Dev Team
I finished it. Visit the link below for the latest Chinese (Traditional) translation from now on. I would also maintain a version history there. Smile
http://code.google.com/p/pcsx2/issues/detail?id=920

My last tip splitting lines by the number of L for Iconized and Tertiary POT. For example, If the referenced source codes have three lines with leading L.
Quote:L"the 1st line"
L"the 2nd line"
L"the 3rd line"

You add \n at the end of line to manually break lines.
Quote:L"the 1st line translated into your language\n"
L"the 2nd line translated into your language\n"
L"the 3rd line translated into your language"

Generally the number of L implies the equal number of lines expected in translation.

(12-14-2010, 03:54 PM)Hunter Wrote: 'll do Russian translation.
There's a Russian translation already.
http://code.google.com/p/pcsx2/issues/detail?id=919

The tooltip of Enable fast CDVD in speedhacks panel, loses the last half of parentheses.
trunk/pcsx2/gui/Panels/SpeedhacksPanel.cpp Wrote:L"Check HDLoader compatibility lists for known games that have issues with this. (Often marked as needing 'mode 1' or 'slow DVD'"
durable PC since 2008
(12-15-2010, 01:58 AM)pcsx2fan Wrote: My last tip splitting lines by the number of L for Iconized and Tertiary POT. For example, If the referenced source codes have three lines with leading L.

You add \n at the end of line to manually break lines.

Generally the number of L implies the equal number of lines expected in translation.

Can't help on this one. There are no expected linebreaks -- PCSX2 does word wrapping and line breaking internally, depending on the user's operating system, screen resolution, font selection, etc. It is unreasonable for me to make the source code have lines of text that are 300+ characters long. It's impossible to edit or proofread it that way, and turning word-wrap on in a C++ file is an even worse idea.

This is, in my opinion, one of the great design flaws of gettext. In a well-coded program, there should really be very few linebreaks in text displayed in windows (stuff that gets translated).

I think other projects may handle this by using a help file to provide certain types of extended information to the user -- like large tooltips or extended error message details. And that's fine, but it comes with its own array of complications.
updated to latest rev. again. Also created an issue at googlecode...
http://code.google.com/p/pcsx2/issues/detail?id=921
further updates to the translation will be made there.
for word wrapping: I just noticed the word wrapping is done by pcsx2 rather than wxwidgets...
It would be better to make exception for languages which don't use spaces to separate each words (such as Chinese and Japanese), otherwise the format will be messed up without manual \n's.
or add special handling for "words" which is too "long".
(12-16-2010, 05:43 AM)Whistler Wrote: It would be better to make exception for languages which don't use spaces to separate each words (such as Chinese and Japanese), otherwise the format will be messed up without manual \n's.

I am thinking of translators in those type of languages are supposed to manually add \n on their own. Tongue As well as optimizing readability in the meantime, by adding \n behind punctuation.
durable PC since 2008
Ugh. That's a problem. I can make it so certain languages do word wrapping differently, though I'm guessing that there are still rules for when a line can be wrapped. Are there certain combos of symbols that shouldn't be split apart, for example?

In the interim, you can also do your \n's manually. Since the language has no spaces, the PCSX2 word wrapper won't inadvertently muck up your formatting. I'm not going to add \n's to the english though, because its not needed and it interferes with ideal text flow.

Unfortunately there's no good way to test a lot of the dialogs, so you won't really know what the good length for linebreaking is. As a general rule of thumb, no line of text should be over 600 pixels wide -- which would be about 50 chinese characters, give or take.