Gran Turismo 4 (NTSC) is playable. [HOWTO] Best config to enjoy it.
...it seems that this svn1725 has problems with GT4 when some of the speedhacks are disabled, enabling most of them solved problem with strange wheels...

Cheers...
AMD FX-8350
4x 4GB DDR3 2400MHz
AMD Radeon R9 Fury X

Sponsored links

Alright, I'm not quite a computer wiz, but i can handle myself, but so far it hasn't help me in this problem.

As far as I can see I'm the only one with my problem, but i hope you guys can help anyway.

When I run the game, i only get to the License screen, and thats it. Not even a black screen or something weird, nope, just the sony license screen. The game is still running with 30-40 fps, and my computer should be more than capable of running it. Anyone who has seen bug this before?
@ mesterjagels, did you setup everything like said in first post:

(03-13-2009, 08:37 PM)Wohlrajh Wrote: Well in case some people doubted about it, maybe even the devs, I've just "finished" GT4 (NTSC version). I use quotes because I'm not done with the game yet, but I finished the main path in GT4 Gran Turismo mode.

It means I've played from the opening until the ending movie that can be viewed after having completed Beginner and Professional events. There are still a lot of championships I will continue to play but they are "optional". I have already completed a lot of them, and I don't think the remaining ones will hang, other than a located GSdx crash like I've already seen times to times but it can be bypassed by switching to ZeroGS at this moment.

I don't know if the game can be classified as "fully playable" because there is a lot of config "tuning" to do with the emu and the game itself but I can confirm the game can be finished at this state of the emulator. Smile

Attached some screenshots to confirm this Wink

For information, the last movie runs perfect, it's just that after that it will try to run the nasty opening movie that will hang. To bypass it, just see the end movie, and then load a savestate made at the end of the last race and press enter to skip it, it will come back to the main menu and unlock the last events. Smile I'll let you discover the last car reward, but it rocks Tongue

To sum up, the main things to know in order to have the best experience for NTSC version are the following :

- To fix the graphical glitches in the game menus (first letters missing etc) put PCSX2 VU clamp mode to Extra (in Advanced options). Keep other advanced options to default value.
- To fix the SPS (Spikey Polygon Syndrome, aka all the vertical lines / garbage appearing on the screen) at the beginning of the races, go to picture quality options in the game and put the brightness to 0.
- To fix the crashes at the beginning of the races versus IA, go to screen options and activate the 480p progressive mode in Video output.
- To fix the screen shaking effect, go to GSdx options in PCSX2 menu and change the interlace mode to "Bob tff".
- To fix crashes in game, during licences especially and some races, make a savestate (make sstates often, to prevent for example that crashes in a middle of a champ will result in making the whole champ again..), and switch to ZeroGS, that's a GSdx bug.
- To fix the crashes even after having verified the previous points, if you play with GSdx DX10 version, in the current version it just crashes if you try an internal resolution above 1024*1024. With DX9, you can play at whatever internal res you want.
- To fix the crash at the opening movie when you launch the game, just DL the patch anorexic posted in this thread : http://forums.pcsx2.net/thread-4375-page-3.html and put it in your PCSX2 patch folder. Then launch the game, and go to the game options, "Misc" options and deactivate opening movie, and activate the game autosave. You won't be blocked again. Wink
- Concerning the speedhacks, I've played the game with EE and IOP X2 ones, INTC and WaitCycles sync hacks activated and they are stable and give the best speed for me.

For information, I've played GT4 since a lot of revisions, I began the game around 1 month ago so before 0.9.6 release, and I finished it at svn rev746 (loaded a sstate at rev765 to make screenshots and it was also ok). It can be useful to know that in case of regression in the future.

*** Known issues ***

- GSdx crashes in licences trials and races (located)
- Big slowdowns when there are a lot of light sources on the screen, personally that means a 20 FPS drop, for some others it means a crash of the game. Tested a lot of GSdx versions, but that's the same, seems to be an emu related problem. If the devs want to check it rapidly, the most easy and obvious way is with the George V Rally race, which has enormous number of lights everywhere, that's a race that I played in slow motion personally xD
- Be aware on the savestates you make. GT4 autosave doesn't like them because it will autosave each time you buy a tuning equipment, change car, win a champ etc.. So make a sstate only on races, not before buying a piece of equipment to test it for example, because if the game tries to save the game that wasn't in the previous state it knows it will refuse to save the game. That can mean a lot of hours lost if badly done because you won't be able to switch your car for example..
--> I fixed the save problem by deleting the savestates files located in PCSX2 directory/sstates folder. After that, the game has been able to save correctly.
- The "Japan championship" in Japanese events does not seem to be correctly completable. For me it just hanged at the end of the last race at the moment of the reward reception. Tried a lot of things but no way. To bypass it, I abandoned the race, I had enough points to win the champ and that was fine. If you want to win the last race, you can try it alone after the champ so no problem.
- The Dive replay mode is not working correctly (accessible during replay with the "square" button). It shows SPS/garbage on the screen.

*** Minimum reqs to enjoy the game ***

- The game is VERY demanding, and if you want to play at a normal speed (60 FPS) a 3.5-3.6 Ghz processor as a minimum will be required. That won't prevent the slowdowns on some specific cases (lights, races by nights etc). An average graphic card will be ok.

Anyway, this thread is there to sum up the way to play GT4 the best and to avoid the problems, and because a lot of people are asking the same questions so I wanted to answer most of them here. I know a lot of people wants to play it so I hope it will help you guys, because the game deserves it !

Enjoy Tongue

If you did like Wohlrajh said, you shouldn't have any problems...

Cheers...
AMD FX-8350
4x 4GB DDR3 2400MHz
AMD Radeon R9 Fury X
(09-14-2009, 10:32 AM)mesterjagels Wrote: Alright, I'm not quite a computer wiz, but i can handle myself, but so far it hasn't help me in this problem.

As far as I can see I'm the only one with my problem, but i hope you guys can help anyway.

When I run the game, i only get to the License screen, and thats it. Not even a black screen or something weird, nope, just the sony license screen. The game is still running with 30-40 fps, and my computer should be more than capable of running it. Anyone who has seen bug this before?

I'm having the same problem. I'm running the latest beta release (r1736) and the game doesn't get past the initial license screen. I've set up everything to correspond to the settting suggested in the first post, but still nothing. Anyone got any ideas on how to fix this?
...I'm not sure I posted up there that it's svn1725, donno why i posted that svn nuber, couse its 1736 lol, maybe I like that nuber...
Enable patches, maybe your pcsx2 hangs on intro, but it works great on my emu
use nex plugins:
GSdx svn1650 -> all default, Interlacing Blend bff, & set up D3D internal resolution
SPU2-X -> all default, if you have multy speaker system, check Enable Audio expasion
Lylipad -> just set up all buttons
Linuz Iso -> just mount iso image of the game
in options set this up:
CPU
EERec, VU0rec, VU1rec, MTGS, Linit, all other default
SpeedHacks
2x Cycle Rate, it worked better on my with these PC INTC Sync Hack, IOP 2x Cycle Rate, Idle Loop Fast forward
Advanced
All default, EE Clamp to Extra + Preserve Sign, VU Clamp to Extra + Preserve Sign

If this all is set then it should go ingame with no problem, ...or maybe you game image is damaged or something, ...don't run it from CD/DVD, you must run it from LinuzIso plugin...

Cheers...
AMD FX-8350
4x 4GB DDR3 2400MHz
AMD Radeon R9 Fury X
...new svn1888 gives boost to GT4...

Tnx devs...

Cheers...
AMD FX-8350
4x 4GB DDR3 2400MHz
AMD Radeon R9 Fury X
maybe some day in psx2 emu nvidia gpu with physx will do cpu work and cpu will gpuSmile
(10-21-2009, 07:47 AM)keda Wrote: maybe some day in psx2 emu nvidia gpu with physx will do cpu work and cpu will gpuSmile

...I think nVidia just lost their PhysX, becouse it will no longer be part of their drivers, or at least, that's what I heard...

But yeah, it would be nice that GFX card would compute something, because they're much faster then actually CPU's...

Cheers...
AMD FX-8350
4x 4GB DDR3 2400MHz
AMD Radeon R9 Fury X
(10-21-2009, 10:22 AM)rex1825 Wrote:
(10-21-2009, 07:47 AM)keda Wrote: maybe some day in psx2 emu nvidia gpu with physx will do cpu work and cpu will gpuSmile

But yeah, it would be nice that GFX card would compute something, because they're much faster then actually CPU's...

Cheers...

you sound like Jen-Hsun Huang saying CPU is at it's end and GPU will rule the world.

GTFO!!

currently i7 runs GTA4 smooth with a little help from a GPU,and CPU runs PCSX2 smooth with almost no help from GPU
Thanks got PAL version working fine!
Click image for Prev. rigs Cool
[Image: MYNEWPCGII.png]