Gran Turismo 4 (NTSC) is playable. [HOWTO] Best config to enjoy it.
Hi everybody.

I finally managed to run GT4 after a lot of configuring, but still am suffering very low fps while driving.
The CPU is AMD Athlon X2 5200+. Yes, I know, not the fastest CPU around, but hell, PS2 can't be a faster machine than my PC, so there should be a way to run GT4 properly. I'd like to try the GSdx11 if it really works that good, can someone give me a download link and perhaps instructions?

If I manage that, the only problem left will be the steering wheel configuration...

Sponsored links

(04-20-2010, 11:53 PM)chameleon Wrote: The CPU is AMD Athlon X2 5200+. Yes, I know, not the fastest CPU around, but hell, PS2 can't be a faster machine than my PC, so there should be a way to run GT4 properly.

No, a PS2 is not faster, but your PC is just not fast enough to emulate a PS2; even my PC can't emulate GT4 properly.
Intel C2D E6550 2.33GHz ([email protected])
Corsair CM2X1024 4GB (4x1GB) DDR2 DRAM
ASUS P5K
XFX Radeon HD 5770 1GB

Running on Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.
(04-21-2010, 01:11 AM)k1net1cs Wrote:
(04-20-2010, 11:53 PM)chameleon Wrote: The CPU is AMD Athlon X2 5200+. Yes, I know, not the fastest CPU around, but hell, PS2 can't be a faster machine than my PC, so there should be a way to run GT4 properly.

No, a PS2 is not faster, but your PC is just not fast enough to emulate a PS2; even my PC can't emulate GT4 properly.

My previous gaming rig had an e8500 @ 4.4ghz and even that is not enough to play GT4 at full speed on circuits with lots of light sources or when you're behind 3rd place. My current i7 920 @ 4.2ghz is even slower.
(04-21-2010, 01:11 AM)k1net1cs Wrote:

Yes, this does make sense. Although, I believe that GT4 will run better with new improved versions of the emulator.
(04-22-2010, 09:40 AM)chameleon Wrote: Yes, this does make sense. Although, I believe that GT4 will run better with new improved versions of the emulator.

Yup, pretty much it. Even top-end highly OC'ed rigs cannot run GT4 at full speed at all times even on native res. But only the fact that GT4 is "perfectly" playable on current pcsx2 development status is a freaking great achievement. Kudos to all developers responsible for this. Wink
The game is a pita to emulate, yeah.
Currently it's slow because of GSdx mostly, then the VU work it does and lot's of VIF FIFO action.
Using a 4.0Ghz core2 cpu should get you to full speed most of the time though.
I'd say that chip runs GT4 on PCSX2 around 3 times faster than the 5200+.
(04-23-2010, 12:15 AM)rama Wrote: The game is a pita to emulate, yeah.
Currently it's slow because of GSdx mostly, then the VU work it does and lot's of VIF FIFO action.
Using a 4.0Ghz core2 cpu should get you to full speed most of the time though.
I'd say that chip runs GT4 on PCSX2 around 3 times faster than the 5200+.

On night races, circuits with a lot of "sun shafts", cars with their lights on (i.e. light sources in general) not even a C2D @ 4.4ghz paired with a heavily OC'ed 4890 is enough, as I said before.

When I use a Gdsx version that emulates 100% accurate reflections the average speed is around 45fps with the system above. I don't know why but my current rig (i7 [email protected]/5870 oc'ed) is a bit slower than my previous c2d one but it's faster using the "accurate reflection" Gdsx versions...
(04-23-2010, 12:15 AM)rama Wrote: ..full speed most of the time..

Smile
the emulator is badly coded for hyper trending processors...
Hyper Trending is not doing anything good for emulators.