PCSX2 - Widescreen Game Patches
I have a question. In using these Widescreen patches, is it recommended to use a scaling option (like 4x), or put it at my desktop resolution (1920x1080) for the internal resolution? I understand that the internal resolution is more for the 4:3 resolution, but does the widescreen change anything at all for it?

Sponsored links

(02-14-2013, 10:43 PM)thalastwon Wrote: I have a question. In using these Widescreen patches, is it recommended to use a scaling option (like 4x), or put it at my desktop resolution (1920x1080) for the internal resolution? I understand that the internal resolution is more for the 4:3 resolution, but does the widescreen change anything at all for it?

Scaling is almost always recommended over custom, less likely to cause artifacts.

As far as i know, setting it to wide screen does not change the resolution.
I did tests, it doesn't matter what you use. I noticed zero image quality difference whatsoever.

However, if your max resolution is 1080p, 4x is overkill, so either use 3x (if your PC can handle it) or 1080p.
deleted. OPL Issue.
(02-14-2013, 11:22 PM)devina40 Wrote: I did tests, it doesn't matter what you use. I noticed zero image quality difference whatsoever.

However, if your max resolution is 1080p, 4x is overkill, so either use 3x (if your PC can handle it) or 1080p.

I personally have only noticed in in the .hack GU games, the ghosting seems far worse for me.
Thanks for the quick replies.
Sounds like 3x is best for me. So far running games at 4x or 5x hasn't been a problem for me, but I figure its best to ask those who know better about getting the best graphical quality, since I know some games are still pretty intensive for higher end rigs. No point in potentially wasting performance if it doesn't make any difference.

So in the .hack games it causes ghosting issues?
All PS2 games have different scalings.
For example, 3x for Final Fantasy 12 is 1536x1344, whereas for Persona 4 is 1920x1344. You can press F8, go to the snaps folder, and see the resolution of the image there.

So if you do 3x scaling, you're rendering more unnecessary length at 1080p, because your max length is 1080, not 1344.

There's nothing inherently wrong with setting a custom resolution either, such as 1280x720 and 1920x1080.
I mostly use custom resolutions myself, unless you see some weird artifact or bug, then use scaling.
(02-14-2013, 11:36 PM)Argon Wrote: Nemsis2000, I have tested .elf hack for TimeSplitters (SLUS-20090) posted at ps2wide.net on real ps2 console. I have noticed that aspect ratio has changed to 16:9, but quality of image decreased drastically! It looks like half of pixels are not rendered!

It's normal that the image quality slightly decreases when using widescreen on PS2 since the resolution stays the same, meaning the pixel density seen on screen is a bit less.

But it might as well be that what you noticed is not the slight quality decrease described above, but the huge quality decrease that happens when enforcing 480p with OPL-GSM on this game Wink
(It's one of those games where doing so results in loosing have the vertical resolution -> 'pixelation')
(02-15-2013, 12:19 AM)No.47 Wrote: It's normal that the image quality slightly decreases when using widescreen on PS2 since the resolution stays the same, meaning the pixel density seen on screen is a bit less.

Yeah, no matter what, it's still a 4:3 image, just with a narrower FOV, and it's stretched to 16:9 so the image quality suffers by blur.

To add onto this, Wii suffers from the same stretching effect (it's still 480p), whereas PS3/360 don't because they support HDMI and native widescreen.

The only way to combat this effect is through PCSX2.
I read somewhere that scaling above your resolution (1080p for example) has it's perks. The article I was reading stated that scaling passed your resolution creates a form of "supersampling" which essentially allows you to anti-alias without having antialiasing on.

Not sure if that's true, but I've been keeping mine at 4x-6x since reading the article and left antialiasing off.