PCSX2 - Widescreen Game Patches
(09-13-2013, 08:26 AM)devina40 Wrote: Try this and tell me if it works. If it does, I'll put it in the archive.

Doesn't seem to work.

Edit: Both the US version and this international version still have oval recticles and oval buttons instead of circular. Hope I'm not doing anything wrong.
Model: Clevo P570WM Laptop
GPU: GeForce GTX 980M ~8GB GDDR5
CPU: Intel Core i7-4960X CPU +4.2GHz (12 CPUs)
Memory: 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3L 1600MHz, 4x8gb

Sponsored links

I double checked, and AFAIK, it's a direct port of the US version.

[attachment=45606]

I don't have the International version to test.

Did you enable the console to confirm PCSX2 located the patch?

If it doesn't work, then it may need a new code altogether.

Oval reticules are also completely normal, since the widescreen patches mainly only work on 3D, not the HUD or 2D.
(09-13-2013, 09:17 AM)devina40 Wrote: I double checked, and AFAIK, it's a direct port of the US version.

Nah, english version doesn't have the secret scenes of the playonline mode. This version has it, but since play online doesn't exist anymore, they are coded to play when you beat missions on mission mode. On the original japanese version, you could only see these secret scenes online. So this has the fixes of the US version but adds the extra content (only found in the original japanese version) to the offline mode. Unless you are talking about patch-wise?

(09-13-2013, 09:17 AM)devina40 Wrote: Did you enable the console to confirm PCSX2 located the patch?
Yes.
I will upload comparison pics of the US version and the International Japanese version with the different ratio modes and maybe it will help you help me be able to see a difference.
Oh no, no, no, I talking patch-wise, lol.

If it doesn't work, that sucks since that means Dirge of Cerberus requires different widescreen methods for different regions. Bleh.
(09-13-2013, 09:45 AM)devina40 Wrote: Oh no, no, no, I talking patch-wise, lol.

If it doesn't work, that sucks since that means Dirge of Cerberus requires different widescreen methods for different regions. Bleh.

Oh okay. The widescreen is supposed to look just like the 4:3 ratio but just the black bars on the sides filled in right? On both versions, it looks like the models are still stretching when in widescreen mode. I'm assuming that all new patches are already included in every svn? If so:

US 4:3

US 16:9

INT 4:3

INT 16:9

The cheats slot doesn't need to be on right? (it's late, 4 in the morning. if I don't respond, I'll check back later on after some sleep)
The patch IS working. The picture I posted before was how it should look in widescreen.

Look at the INT 4:3 screenshot. Doesn't Vincent look too thin?

Turn off the widescreen patches, then compare.
But 4:3 is the correct way the game is supposed to look right? There, all the icons and stuff are perfectly circular. That's what I thought 4:3 is supposed to do. When 16:9 is turned on for FFXII (even though it already has an internal 16:9 option), it does just this. It looks a bit skinny but that's how it's supposed to be viewed when it's not stretched.

I guess you are right though. I put the pics in an overlay and I see that the patches are doing something lol. It was kinda hard to tell just from eyeing. But I see that I can see more of the background. I just thought it was supposed to look exactly like 4:3 but with more background. Excuse my rustyness on widescreen Tongue

Thanks devina40.
(09-12-2013, 09:20 PM)leonff7 Wrote: Not sure anyone done this, but I couldn't find one in the archive.
Only 3D objects adjusted, would love some help with this.
Or is there an advance tutorial for how to adjust other things like 2D objects or movie cutscenes into widescreen?

There is no tutorial for how to adjust other things like 2d objects such as HUD simply because there is no one definitive way to do so, unless of course you know MIPS assembly.

I'm no expert, but pretty much the only way I've managed to find HUD values in some ps2 games is through cheat engine. Honestly, I just searched random values anywhere from 1 to 640, just like I was searching for a widescreen address and just happened to come across one that affects the HUD. As with widescreen, it all depends on that particular game. Some games are just impossible to find anything at all in cheat engine, while others are incredibly easy.

This applies to FMV fixes as well. With both Grandia 2 and Tales of Symphonia, I was able to find addresses that fix the FMV size in cheat engine. Unfortunately, it's all luck. The only tip I can really say is that if you find an address that seems to do something that you want (like affect the HUD size), then keep searching in that address range and you'll probably find something.

On another note...
Here's a pnach for Nicktoons Unite! (NTSC-U) as requested on the list (16:10 added as an option as well)

Here's a perfect example of a ps2 game where it was actually quite easy to find an address that fixes the HUD size, in cheat engine.

Attached Files
.pnach   28D09BF9.pnach (Size: 386 bytes / Downloads: 377)
Winning Eleven 10 (SLKA_251.53) (NTSC-K, 3B36E890.pnach)
porting from No.47's patch.

Attached Files
.7z   Winning Eleven 10.7z (Size: 364 bytes / Downloads: 171)
@flameofrecca:

Thanks for the .pnach!

And yes, sadly, 2D stuff is harder and more luck-based since all games are different. I've been using the Elf Search Tool a lot and using the matrix hack, which is the first thing I do. There's a strong chance that the matrix hack might affect 2D elements:

00000000 00000000 43AD1346 00000000
to
403F013C 00008144 43AD1346 02C60046

The next thing I do is use Hyakki's Widescreen Helper and change 3F800000 (value 1) to 3F400000 (value 0.75) and watch the game in PCSX2 to see if anything changes horizontally or vertically, or changes size. A lot of games use X and Y elements (we want the X axis), and their addresses are usually right next to each other and because the program changes values at lightning speed, it may result in something getting smaller. (Of course, I use lots of load states and save states) If I see anything worth investigating, I then open Cheat Engine and pinpoint that address and see if it has any effect that can benefit widescreen.

The final thing I do is put the .elf file in Elf Seach Tool and input "803f013c to 403f013c". I'll usually get a huge list of codes, in the hundreds, and put them in a .pnach. Because there's so many codes being loaded, there's a chance the game may crash. If that happens, I usually just remove the earlier codes and experiment a little. I then play the game and see if any elements are unstretched.

If there is, I copy and paste codes in the .pnach lots of time to pinpoint the address I want, and if the element becomes stretched again when I remove codes to pinpoint, I put it back and delete everything else (trial-and-error!). This is how I found out how to narrow the portraits in FFX-2.

@99skull:

I thought Batman Begins already has in-game 16:9?