PCSX2 development plan,thoughts,contributions
(07-12-2014, 10:55 AM)BlackTelomeres Wrote: Google searching is a lot more insidious though, since Google clearly has better search results than any other engine I've tried, so it's very hard to avoid using it.

I don't use my main account to perform Google searches. I don't know if that helps.

Sponsored links

On a side note who says it's a must to use the installer, while you can easily use Orphis or Github. But there is a law in Europe, that a toolbar or whatever needs to be easy to remove and it MUST be allowed to be declined, just my cup of tea in this.
(07-12-2014, 06:13 PM)StriFe79 Wrote: On a side note who says it's a must to use the installer, while you can easily use Orphis or Github. But there is a law in Europe, that a toolbar or whatever needs to be easy to remove and it MUST be allowed to be declined, just my cup of tea in this.

As you're well aware, it can easily be declined. It's not even hidden anywhere during the install process behind custom or expert "modes", You go through the install wizard, deal with it however you like, and never hear of it again.
I know, not saying this isn't the case, but just stating how and what Smile
It's true that the toolbar is hard to miss. You'd have to literally sit there smashing your keyboard or mouse to accidentally install it. However, I do agree that the description on the website should've been more implicit in mentioning that the toolbar is there, and that it can be easily opted out of. The stable released package should be replaced with the toolbar-less version as soon as possible. It's also very unfortunate that the userbase wasn't informed of the deal falling through months ago, but what's done is done. The only thing that can be done now is to move forward, get that installer off the site, and make sure nothing like this ever happens again.

Then perhaps everyone can focus on making pcsx2 drastically better rather than just marginally better. It'd probably require a paradigm shift, but so be it.
(07-12-2014, 06:08 PM)xemnas99 Wrote: I don't use my main account to perform Google searches. I don't know if that helps.

Doubtful. A great deal of people don't even have google accounts but their searches are still being tied to their IP address and unless you have a VPN, proxies, a dynamic IP, or are on a widely shared network they can collect a decent amount of relatively accurate data about at least your household pretty well.
(07-12-2014, 07:58 PM)BlackTelomeres Wrote: Doubtful. A great deal of people don't even have google accounts but their searches are still being tied to their IP address and unless you have a VPN, proxies, a dynamic IP, or are on a widely shared network they can collect a decent amount of relatively accurate data about at least your household pretty well.
I'll just leave this here https://panopticlick.eff.org/index.php
(07-12-2014, 07:58 PM)BlackTelomeres Wrote: Doubtful. A great deal of people don't even have google accounts but their searches are still being tied to their IP address and unless you have a VPN, proxies, a dynamic IP, or are on a widely shared network they can collect a decent amount of relatively accurate data about at least your household pretty well.

That is fine by me. At least they can't identify me as a person, not easily that is. My main account has my identity. I don't want to associate my searches with my identity. Anyway, I have a dynamic IP address.
(07-12-2014, 08:42 PM)xemnas99 Wrote: That is fine by me. At least they can't identify me as a person, not easily that is. My main account has my identity. I don't want to associate my searches with my identity. Anyway, I have a dynamic IP address.

They probably can anyway, see the link i posted above.
yeah. can we cut paranoia out of development stuff here. everybody looks in cookie boxes. signatures and what not. what can they do with that data? monitor my what they think are my "interests" wasting time and just TRY to advertise mainstream products i don't need and ignore. and only electronically. if i ever get an ad in my physical mailbox i know they snooped my gmail. i'm allowed to and i would burn them. they have no other data they can hold up. nothing. Laugh