Read first: Will PCSX2 run fast on my computer?
(05-10-2011, 12:38 AM)mrjared123 Wrote: I never built a PC myself, but I'll be sure to keep it in mind.

Edit:
Wait, what about the hard drive?

Knew I was forgetting something. Add another $50 for 1TB. Tongue2

Sponsored links

Alright, I might just be thinking of doing this after all. Thanks! Biggrin

Edit:

So I can wait a while for the GTX 460 since the Core i5 has integrated graphics, right? Cause I don't think that I can buy that with all the others. And there is also a $25 discount off a Core i5 2500 (Not K) and a ASUS P8H67-M LX combo. I don't really plan on overclocking, so is this a better choice? And also the motherboard is a lot cheaper. And my total is $597.93 after rebate (without GPU). And wouldn't I need a disk drive for the Windows 7 installation? I'm sorta confused now.
(05-10-2011, 02:32 AM)mrjared123 Wrote: So I can wait a while for the GTX 460 since the Core i5 has integrated graphics, right? Cause I don't think that I can buy that with all the others. And there is also a $25 discount off a Core i5 2500 (Not K) and a ASUS P8H67-M LX combo. I don't really plan on overclocking, so is this a better choice? And also the motherboard is a lot cheaper. And my total is $597.93 after rebate (without GPU). And wouldn't I need a disk drive for the Windows 7 installation? I'm sorta confused now.

If you don't plan on overclocking, then yes, H67+non-K CPU would be cheaper. Have to warn you, though, the integrated graphics on the Core i5 is pretty crappy. On the up side, since you're buying a quad-core, you could just use Direct3D (Software) mode until you have funds for a proper graphics card. Software mode is more accurate/compatible anyway.

Yes, you need a hard disk drive. Forgot to add one to the parts list. You should be able to find 7200rpm 1TB drives for $50 on sale.
Yeah, a i5-2500 can run games with software rendering at great speeds. You will not be totally screwed without a graphics card. Wink

Also, I think mrjared123's last comment about the disc drive was about the "optical disc drive". I always leave that out when picking out parts since it's a simple $20 purchase at the end (if you don't have one to spare). You will need one, of course.
(05-10-2011, 08:33 PM)Rezard Wrote: Yeah, a i5-2500 can run games with software rendering at great speeds. You will not be totally screwed without a graphics card. Wink

Also, I think mrjared123's last comment about the disc drive was about the "optical disc drive". I always leave that out when picking out parts since it's a simple $20 purchase at the end (if you don't have one to spare). You will need one, of course.

Lol, I barely use optical drives anymore. The only time I still use them is whem ripping discs to ISO format to store on the 12TB file server. For Windows installs, I use USB flash drives. Much faster than installing from disc (like less than 15 minute full installs). My new builds don't have optical drives. Tongue2
???? Windows 7 installed from start to finish in just under 15 minutes from my optical drive...

You're not suggesting he not have a DVD drive, are you? He's going to need one at some point (even if it's another PC that has one). There's still the fact that most things typically comes on a disc (Windows, drivers, software, etc...). Granted, it can be done without, but now every disc will have to go through another PC first...

While you're at it, see how much more complicated you can make his first PC building experience. Tongue
I haven't built a PC with an optical drive in nearly 5 years... There's just very little need, and the off chance that I do need something from an disc I just load it up on one of my lappies which came with disc drives whether I wanted them to or not, or dig out an old drive and hook it up via an IDE to USB adapter I have for hard drive recovery.
(05-10-2011, 11:47 PM)Rezard Wrote: ???? Windows 7 installed from start to finish in just under 15 minutes from my optical drive...

You're not suggesting he not have a DVD drive, are you? He's going to need one at some point (even if it's another PC that has one). There's still the fact that most things typically comes on a disc (Windows, drivers, software, etc...). Granted, it can be done without, but now every disc will have to go through another PC first...

While you're at it, see how much more complicated you can make his first PC building experience. Tongue

Seriously, I can't remember the last time I've installed anything from disc. Nowadays, drivers, software, etc can all be downloaded from the internet. Heck, when I bought StarCraft II from Amazon, I downloaded the installer from Blizzard as soon as it was available (I think a day before official release) and used that to install. Really, all I needed from the Amazon package was my product key.

Not saying he shouldn't add an optical drive to the build. It's his choice whether he wants to install one or not. I just find it unnecessary nowadays. Really, the only use I have for optical drives is ripping Blu-ray, DVD, PSX and PS2 discs.
It's true. You can download almost anything. Just might be a bit much to suggest to a new builder, especially when he already made it clear that he has no idea how to go about installing an OS without a disc, ya know? Sure, it can be considered easy to some, but let's let him clean his plate before we start shoving more on there. Wink
Yup, Rezard, I meant optical disk drive. But, do you think it's a good idea to buy some of the supplies in a local Best Buy? Because there might be some good deals there, I have to check. I would rather buy all the items in a store, but a lot of things are hard to find in any local store.

Edit:
Would you recommend a GIGABYTE GA-H67M-D2-B3? It's really sheap, and I'm probably going to get a 2500 anyways, so no overclocking. It's also really cheap.