Read first: Will PCSX2 run fast on my computer?
OS won't make too much difference in performance (granted the OS is capable of DX10 or higher). The biggest problem with CPUs that rely heavily on turbo boost is sometimes it won't function correctly... If you're using a laptop (which judging by your graphics chip, you are) make sure that in power management you have it set to maximum performance, this keeps windows from downclocking your CPU.

Sponsored links

(04-28-2011, 08:11 PM)Rezard Wrote: Stutter every now and again? Are you playing directly off the game disc, or did you make an ISO of it and use that? Do the ISO thing if you haven't. (Try Imgburn)

You have a nice GPU, so no problems there, unless you're pushing the internal res quite high. Your biggest hinderance is your CPU (due to it's age). If you can, overclock it as much as possible (not beyond comfort, though).

In the end, overclocking can only help so much in your case. Consider it percentage based, and your CPU only has so much to work with. You should also consider Speedhacks to help a slower game.

One last thought: Upgrade to Windows 7 and take advantage of your GPU's DX10 capabilities.

Thanks for the fast reply. Yeah im using a iso of the game rather then using the game cd. I considered overclocking my cpu at one point but didnt go ahead with it. I'll also have a look into speedhacks too. Any suggestions for cpu upgrade? Only thing thats outdated on my machine.
(04-29-2011, 12:01 PM)Koji Wrote: OS won't make too much difference in performance (granted the OS is capable of DX10 or higher). The biggest problem with CPUs that rely heavily on turbo boost is sometimes it won't function correctly... If you're using a laptop (which judging by your graphics chip, you are) make sure that in power management you have it set to maximum performance, this keeps windows from downclocking your CPU.

Omg, you're absolutely right!! I never realized that it was on "Power Saver" what a dork! Now it runs perfectly! Laugh Thanks a million!
I suggest you keep it on balanced. You'll actually get better performance in some cases.
i5 520m :: ATI 5650 (700, 900) :: Samsun 830 128GB SSD:: 8GB (2x4GB) RAM
hi this is my first time i ask so i hope you can help me
my laptop is hp pavilion dv6
cpu core i7 1.6Ghz
ram 8GB DDR3
nVidia 230 with 1GB DDR3 dedicated up to 4GB
win 7 home premium 64

and desktop
cpu C2D 3Ghz/6M
ram 4GB DDR2
nVidia 9600GSO 1.5GB DDr2
win 7 ultimat

what is the best configration to play Metal Gear Solid 3
if you pleaseBlush
Best configuration to play MGS3 includes a PC with a CPU at 4ghz+.

VU cycle steal works well for MGS3, but set too high can cause other problems. Besides that default settings should work okay, just don't expect the game to play full speed all the time. It's easily in the top 10 hardest to emulate PS2 games.
(04-30-2011, 12:24 PM)Koji Wrote: Best configuration to play MGS3 includes a PC with a CPU at 4ghz+.

VU cycle steal works well for MGS3, but set too high can cause other problems. Besides that default settings should work okay, just don't expect the game to play full speed all the time. It's easily in the top 10 hardest to emulate PS2 games.

what are the other 9 PS2 games that are hardest to emulate with?
(04-30-2011, 12:24 PM)Koji Wrote: Best configuration to play MGS3 includes a PC with a CPU at 4ghz+.

what are the other 9 PS2 games that are hardest to emulate with?
I am kinda curious.

sorry for double post
Sad

i can never play mgs3 ? because i dont has an 4ghz+ cpu ? (that not exist)

Unsure

(04-30-2011, 01:03 PM)Indy215 Wrote: what are the other 9 PS2 games that are hardest to emulate with?
I am kinda curious.

Well, it's not like there is an actually "10 Heaviest Games" established. In truth, there are many that could qualify. It's also kind of an opinion (or based on experience), so you might get a different indication from different users (with different specs). I'll mention a few "heavy hitters" for you. These are not necessarily the heaviest games, and are not in any particular order, but will serve as examples of which games can be found to be "too much for your specs", even if they're decent.

Gran Turismo 4
God of War 2
Dynasty Warriors 3
Devil May Cry
Tekken 5
Xenosaga
Zone of the Enders: 2nd Runner
Tales of Legendia
Need for Speed Underground 2
Valkyrie Profile 2
Star Wars Battlefront 2
Shadow of the Collosus
Dragon Quest 8

You could check out this thread on that topic.

(04-30-2011, 02:08 PM)Serasul Wrote: i can never play mgs3 ? because i dont has an 4ghz+ cpu ? (that not exist)

Blink What doesn't exist? A 4Ghz+ CPU?

You may need a better and newer CPU to run MGS3 well. A large overclock of a decent CPU (i.e. Core 2, Core i, maybe even a 2nd gen AMD) could pull it off. Otherwise, look to Intel's newest Sandy Bridge processors. There is less often need to overclock them, especially if already at or over 3Ghz.
(04-30-2011, 07:47 PM)Rezard Wrote: Well, it's not like there is an actually "10 Heaviest Games" established. In truth, there are many that could qualify. It's also kind of an opinion (or based on experience), so you might get a different indication from different users (with different specs). I'll mention a few "heavy hitters" for you. These are not necessarily the neaviest games, and are not in any particular order, but will serve as examples of which games can be found to be "too much for your specs", even if they're decent.

Gran Turismo 4
God of War 2
Dynasty Warriors 3
Devil May Cry
Tekken 5
Xenosaga
Zone of the Enders: 2nd Runner
Tales of Legendia
Need for Speed Underground 2
Valkyrie Profile 2
Star Wars Battlefront 2
Shadow of the Collosus
Dragon Quest 8

You could check out this thread on that topic.

Blink What doesn't exist? A 4Ghz+ CPU?

You may need a better and newer CPU to run MGS3 well. A large overclock of a decent CPU (i.e. Core 2, Core i, maybe even a 2nd gen AMD) could pull it off. Otherwise, look to Intel's newest Sandy Bridge processors. There is less often need to overclock them, especially if already at or over 3Ghz.

i has an phenom x4 @3,2 ghz

and mgs3 has never fps over 25......... Sad

than i deinstall the emulator and save money for an real ps2........