..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: Native Mac Testing Build
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(05-17-2020, 05:27 AM)TellowKrinkle Wrote: [ -> ]Merry Christmas and a happy Metal Renderer.  Make sure to try it out in the Graphics Settings.  Requires macOS 10.13 and a Metal-compatible GPU.  (The rest of the emulator can still run on as old as 10.9... for now.  Expect that to change soon though)

Metal renderer improvements (compared to OpenGL renderer on macOS)
  • Full depth precision (Okay not quite full, but equivalent to what you'd get on Windows with the OpenGL or DX11 renderers)
  • Working texture barriers.  If you had lots of blocks on screen rapidly changing colors, this was probably due to the lack of texture barriers in macOS OpenGL.  This could sort of be worked around by increasing render resolution, but the problem should be completely gone in Metal.
  • Reduced CPU usage.  Increases performance (even when previously limited by the EE thread) on computers where PCSX2 could max out all cores.  This applies to 2-core machines like MacBook Airs from before 2020 and 13" MacBook Pros from before 2018.
  • Better GPU utilization.  Increases performance in a number of games, including Jak & Daxter and Ratchet & Clank.  Both games' title screens and initial areas can now run at full speed on a i7-4980HQ + GT 750m MacBook Pro (I didn't test past that sorry).

Damn! Merry Christmas indeed, TellowKrinkle! I just tested the build with my favorite game, Castlevania Curse of Darkness, on my M1 MacBook Air. Performance is a lot better, and that reflects on the framerate and heat. Shaders finally work! (rendering quality looks awesome, but no... enabling or disabling shaders has no effect) Rumble works! The colors are more vivid! But, in general, it looks darker than before... I suppose that could be fixed by messing with the brightness controls. Many graphical glitches are gone. On the previous build, a lot of 2D elements had glitches, and now they're gone. No more glitching and clipping graphics on the distance (well, some still persist Tongue). I'll continue to test this build in the next days, but for now it looks awesome, nearly on par with the PC version. Of course, Curse of Darkness is a relatively "light" game, but this is a step in the right direction  Smile Thanks for all your work and happy holidays!

Update: Well, I've already tried Castlevania Lament of Innocence, Devil May Cry 3, God of War 1 & 2, and Shadow of the Colossus. Shadow of the Colossus... is as unplayable as always xD. MPEG cutscenes doesn't seem to work Edit: Fixed on the 26/12 build. With OpenGL, I had to play God of War at 2X, but on the Metal renderer it seems to work just fine at 3X. Devil May Cry 3 had some issues with lightning, specially on some candles and gems. Shadows are broken on some games. As with the previous build, the emulator seems to struggle when a lot of 2D objects are on-screen. But in general, its a tremendous improvement, damn awesome  Cool
(12-25-2021, 09:37 AM)TellowKrinkle Wrote: [ -> ]Look through PCSX2's log for the controller's GUID, which should look like a really long number starting with either 03 or 05.  Make sure that matches the one being output by the gamepad tool.  You can also try finding the existing mapping in game_controller_db.txt found by right-clicking PCSX2.app, choosing "Show Package Contents", and then going into Contents/Resources.  If you do find one that matches your controller, you can edit it in place or put it into your config file.

Thank you for your reply.

I can find game_controller_db.txt and my controller GUID and its command in the file. 

The GUID matches what the Gamepad Tool generated to me earlier.

I then interchanged a, b, and x, y pairs command in both the last line of the PAD.ini and the game_controller_db.txt.

However, nothing changed at all.

Looking forward to your reply.

Merry Christmas!
(05-17-2020, 05:27 AM)TellowKrinkle Wrote: [ -> ]2021-12-26 32-Bit 64-bit
  • Fixes an issue in Metal where rendering was very broken on M1 GPUs

Hey TellowKrinkle, I appreciate your hard work on these updated builds! 

I just tried the latest 12-26 build on my M1 MacBook Pro (2020) with 16GB RAM and ran into a few issues with the Metal renderer. In Resident Evil Outbreak, it runs a lot slower than OpenGL, with framerates around 4fps in native PS2 resolution, but runs at near 100% speed on OpenGL. Checking the Activity Monitor, the GPU is completely maxed out when using Metal. I also tried it with SmackDown: Shut Your Mouth, and it worked great in the menus, but crashed right before the wrestler intros.

In case it's helpful: I'm still on Big Sur, running macOS 11.6.1.

Happy to help troubleshoot if you have any questions about my setup or need any logs or anything.
(05-17-2020, 05:27 AM)TellowKrinkle Wrote: [ -> ]2021-12-26
  • Fixes an issue in Metal where rendering was very broken on M1 GPUs

This build fixed the MPEG videos on my M1 MacBook Air.
Hello, thanks your PCSX2 for mac. It's brilliant!
Also newest version's metal renderer works well in Intel Mac. But I have a problem with M1 Mac.
It was crashed while loading game data (in Rumble Roses).
I attached crash log, please check this log. 
Thanks, best regards
Many thanks for all the work you are doing.
Testing the new metal renderer I found a crash when loading ICO. Here's the crash log.
[attachment=74439]

Silent Hill 2 cutscenes still have issues with the Metal renderer. The game itself is fine. I didn't check the flashlight and shadows, the most common points of failure in-game, but the models, textures and specularity are working fine. Cutscenes work OK on OpenGL.
(12-27-2021, 01:14 AM)djhan Wrote: [ -> ]I attached crash log, please check this log.
(12-27-2021, 09:51 AM)trevize Wrote: [ -> ]Testing the new metal renderer I found a crash when loading ICO. Here's the crash log.

Could you try running PCSX2 with METAL_DEVICE_WRAPPER_TYPE=1 PCSX2.app/Contents/MacOS/PCSX2, reproducing the crash, and uploading the resulting trace? That'll add additional checks to everything which might help find the issue.
In addition, could you try picking a renderer that doesn't crash (e.g. sw renderer) and creating a GSdump (shift+f8) of the crashing scene and upload that? You can find it in ~/Library/Application Support/PCSX2/snaps/ or by clicking the "Open in Explorer" button in General Settings → Folders → Snapshots

(12-27-2021, 11:35 PM)DonQuinto Wrote: [ -> ]Silent Hill 2 cutscenes still have issues with the Metal renderer. The game itself is fine. I didn't check the flashlight and shadows, the most common points of failure in-game, but the models, textures and specularity are working fine. Cutscenes work OK on OpenGL.

Are you by any chance using the Dec 25 build? If so, could you try the Dec 26 build? If not, could you upload a GSdump (see above)?
Running METAL_DEVICE_WRAPPER_TYPE=1 PCSX2.app/Contents/MacOS/PCSX2 in Terminal always crash in a different place right after booting a iso.
I attached the GSdump from ICO too running on OpenGL, on Metal it crashes at boot when the screen is still black, hopefully I got the right scene in the dump.
Hey TellowKrinkle! Thanks a lot for your amazing work, I'm so happy to play to some PS2 bangers again!
I was wondering if it was possible to play to Buzz! games with Buzz! Controllers with this Mac build. I guess it's in the USB Settings, but the window doesn't open for me. I'm a total noob to PCSX2, so sorry if the answer is obvious.

Thanks!