GSdx
I've been playing Xenosaga 3 and I've found quite a few issues, although they are rare, or fixable.

Brightness of screen randomly changes(can't find a fix, happens very rarely)
Black blackground in cutscenes where the background is supposed to be blurred(can't fix, again happens rarely)
Shadows trail off of the feet area and sometimes extend to edge of the screen. Seems to only happen when running left.
Lighting is all screwed up because the "light" is not in the right place. But you can fix it pretty well with Half Pixel Offset + TC offset Y 350.

However, software mode fixes ALL of these.
[Image: XTe1j6J.png]
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD

Sponsored links

(08-13-2014, 11:10 PM)Blyss Sarania Wrote: I've been playing Xenosaga 3 and I've found quite a few issues, although they are rare, or fixable.

Black blackground in cutscenes where the background is supposed to be blurred(can't fix, again happens rarely)
Shadows trail off of the feet area and sometimes extend to edge of the screen. Seems to only happen when running left.
Lighting is all screwed up because the "light" is not in the right place. But you can fix it pretty well with Half Pixel Offset + TC offset Y 350.

Pretty sad, that's one of the best PS2 games IMO. How much is fixed by Software mode -- only the shadows? Did you think about throwing up a Github report of this for posterity while it's fresh in your mind? I know it may never be handled but it'd make it easier if a DirectX wizard ever shows up.
(08-13-2014, 11:10 PM)Blyss Sarania Wrote: I've been playing Xenosaga 3 and I've found quite a few issues, although they are rare, or fixable.

DX9 fixes the lighting, but not the shadows or black backgrounds, and even on my extremely good computer it lags during battles and a lot with scenes involving explosions, lasers, etc. Allowing 8 bit textures helps a tiny bit but certainly does not eliminate the problem completely, and skipdraw does not fix anything.

It's a real shame because it's one of my favorite games ever and I want to do a Let's Play of it with minimal lag. (already done 1 and 2 and they both look great.) software mode is not an option because I want to do the entire thing in HD.

frameskipping would fix the lag in DX9 but sadly this game causes glitches, unlike in XS1 where it works great.

fixing the issues on DX11 would be optimal because then most of the lag would be eliminated. (plus the only issue that is fixed with DX9 is the darkness in many of the shots.)

to whoever will fix these issues I will be forever in your debt and will offer up my first born. thanks.
DX9 caused more problems than it solved for me.

@BlackTelomeres:

Fortunately, software mode fixes pretty much all of the problems. And for some reason, in many places in the game it is FASTER than hardware for me.
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
I took some more pics. these were all taken from DX11 (save for one). Half-Pixel Offset along with a TC Y of 350 does not fix the lighting problem.

1: bad lighting in DX11 (happens in 1/4 of scenes, if not more)
2: correct lighting in DX9
3: shows weird hair highlights when screen is dark
4: shadows with alpha enabled (shadows are also completely black)
5: shadows with alpha disabled
6: again, weird shadows with alpha disabled

DX9 fixes lighting problems but causes the shadows to be pixelated and stretch when horizontal, as you saw in Devina's post.

I haven't found a way to fix the black background on hardware mode.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I didn't mean it fixes the bright/dark lighting.

HPO and TC Y 350 are for the light sources themselves. Hold on and I'll post a comparison shot of what I mean.
Okay in these two pictures, this is about the best shot to show what I am talking about. It's right at the start of the game.

Normally, the "light" from light sources is not where it should be, as you can see in this picture. The floor panels glow, but the glow is shifted up and left:

[Image: off.png]

With HPO and TC offset Y = 350 they are MUCH closer to where they should be:

[Image: on.png]

Now, this is an extreme example. But this misplaced "glow" effect happens anywhere there is a light source. Like on treasure boxes, enemies that have lights on them, environment lights, etc. I tweaked forever and this is as close as I could get.
ah, I see! thank you very much for the fix!

my offer is still up for whoever fixes the shadows and being darker in some scenes.

(I know the light being darker in some scenes is fixed with DX9 but in DX9 we still have the horrible shadows and black backgrounds so maybe someone could fix all these issues together in DX11)
Has anyone tried Armored Core: Last Raven? In hardware mode I get a black screen in-game, and it works temporarily in software mode but crashes several minutes after booting. Has anyone gotten it working without crashing? It's listed as compatible, but I've found that's not the case for me.
Apply the 4GB patch to PCSX2. Then use software mode.

4GB patch