PCSX2 - Widescreen Game Patches
MGS are awfully high-demanding games, so don't think of them as a PCSC2 requirement benchmark or anything.
You should give PCSX2 another go sometime. It's hell of a lot better than it was 4 years ago. Happy

PCSX2 is extremely important because it's porting 10 years of video game history to a PC - hundreds and hundreds of quality titles.
And a majority of these PS2 games will never have PC ports by developers.

Post 2010, 4:3 high-budget video games are no longer being made.
Whenever I see 4:3 with black bars, it just screams "Look! I'm an old game!"
That's why these widescreen patches are so important to the future.
Everytime a 16:9 patch is made, a 4:3 game is basically being killed.

Dolphin and Dreamcast emulators have universal built-in widescreen hacks, whereas us PS2 gamers have to manually patch them.
N64 and PS1 feature primitive 3D, so I don't really care for 16:9 for them as much.
Sure, it's plenty of work, but it shows in the end.

In fact, I was wondering if we could integrate the patches into the actual emulator, so they're all basically pre-installed.
No need to download the newest archive every time. It could be a lot more convenient.

I mean, Dolphin comes with a "Widescreen Hack" tick-box, so why not PCSX2?
[attachment=42529]

This would also let people know 16:9 exists. It could work very similar to Enable Cheats, maybe like this.

[attachment=42530]

If enough people think this is a good idea, we can propose this to our coders.
Or maybe I'm just being a silly idealist and dreamer. Let me know.

Sponsored links

I'm more for something like this:

Enable Cheat patches
Enable Widescreen patches
Enable ELF hacks
That could work, although someone would have to create an automatic elf patcher of some sort.

Come on people, let me know what you think! Progress is shaped by thoughts! Pac-Man
well since PCSX2 has an automatic game fix, wouldn't it be nice if there is a database with the widescreen patches out, whereas what Pgert says it reads the SLxx-2xx.xx or the other code and that it uses it? I know it's a crapload of work to do something like that, but it should be doable if not mistaken.
I dunno, I was thinking more along the lines of the .pnach system, except they would come in a "widescreen" folder bundled with the emulator. Where PCSX2 reads the CRC, smart searches the entire widescreen folder and sub-folders (if such a thing is possible... if not, we can just have 483 .pnach files mixed into a single folder, unseparated by region, but I could keep it up-to-date with the archive).

Someone in this thread once mentioned connecting to an online database, but I don't like this idea because it's not self-contained, and requires internet.
There is already a gamedb used to apply automated fixes but can be adapted to perform more functions. One proposition is exposing that entry on the GUI so it can be selected. It's only a suggestion I deem feasible and not too hard to implement, better ones may come up.

PS: On the disadvantageous side is the above proposition needs someone to take responsibility for updating the gameDB, but at some point it will become stable and is a centralized point to keep things coherent.
Imagination is where we are truly real
Yeah, looks like a good idea. But I wish we have more widescreen hacks developers Smile as database is far from its completion. Lots of popular games still are not there.

@Devina40, could you kindly add to requests:

NTSC:
Bloodrayne
Bloodrayne 2
Naughty Argon, Blood Rayne 2 should already have 16:9 support. Tongue
Always check the "Games with in-game 16:9" list.
I closed requests so our widescreen developers could have a little freedom, but I'll add Blood Rayne anyway.
Please don't request any more games for now though.

So we have at least 5 people in agreement that built-in widescreen is a good idea.
I'm going to take it up with refraction, avih, and rama to see how we can get this done.
I'll bring it up in the dev channel. It's certainly doable Tongue2
Awesome! Happy

If you need any assistance, let me know.
I'm really looking forward to getting this done.