Resolved: Microvu bug reports official thread
Wouldn't this be an easy fix since it works fine with the legacy VU recompiler?

Sponsored links

Nope. The 2 recs work very differently and sVU especially is very flawed.

Long and thorough debugging may yield some results so we'll do that one day I suppose.
i'll be looking forward to that day as fixing this may also fix the collision detection issues in Ace Combat 5 and 0.
Possible but there's no direct relation to collision detection code in 2 different games.
[Bug Report]
Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance
SLUS 205.54;1
CRC = 0xC539049D

Soldiers can see through platforms in MGS2: Substance. This glitch likely also affects MGS2: Sons of Liberty, but I do not have that version and cannot test it. Any time an enemy is above you on a platform, he'll be able to see you and even shoot through it. It doesn't matter where the platform is or how opaque it is, he can see and shoot you. It makes the game ten times more difficult. Note that this does not affect other cover throughout the game, crates and walls function as they should.

Changing the clamping or even turning off speedhacks have no effect. The only solution I have found is to turn on SuperVU0. So it's probably a MicroVU problem.

Tested on Strut F in Shell 1, at the entry point from the FA connecting bridge. Can also be easily tested on connecting bridges. I used first person view to insure that there was no possible way for the guard to see me other than looking through solid objects.

PCSX2 0.9.8 release (r4600)
Glitch is not present, fully functional with MicroVU0.

PCSX2 SVN r5139
Present

PCSX2 SVN r5178
Present

PCSX2 SVN r5210
Present
Windows 7 x64 | Core i5 3570K @ 4.7ghz | nVidia Geforce GTX 760 | 8GB (2x4GB) Crucial Ballistax DDR3-1600 ram | Asus Xonar Essence STX | Logitech G500
Shoot, I can't delete the post and add this, or add pictures with editing. Oh well, sorry for double posting.

Here's a picture of it. Note the radar: the guy that spotted me (yellow) is faded, meaning he is on another level. But as you can see, I'm looking right at him, and there's nothing but solid metal between me and him.

Taken at Strut F, at the entrance from the FA connecting bridge.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Windows 7 x64 | Core i5 3570K @ 4.7ghz | nVidia Geforce GTX 760 | 8GB (2x4GB) Crucial Ballistax DDR3-1600 ram | Asus Xonar Essence STX | Logitech G500
can you try this build and see if it works http://buildbot.orphis.net/pcsx2/index.php?m=get&rev=4939&platform=windows-x86

then try this build and see if that works http://buildbot.orphis.net/pcsx2/index.php?m=get&rev=4940&platform=windows-x86

im suspecting the change in microVU_Alloc.inl made in r4940

guessing that

Code:
if (setAllflags) {
        // this code should be run in mVU micro mode only, so writing to
        // EBP (gprF1) and ESI (gprF2) is ok (and needed for vuMicro).
        xMOV(gprF0, gprF3); // gprF3 is t0
        xMOV(gprF1, gprF3);
        xMOV(gprF2, gprF3);
    }

should be

Code:
if (setAllflags) {
        // this code should be run in mVU micro mode only, so writing to
        // EBP (gprF1) and ESI (gprF2) is ok (and needed for vuMicro).
        xMOV(gprF0, t0); // gprF3 is t0
        xMOV(gprF1, t0);
        xMOV(gprF2, t0);
    }

in case a temporary value has been used. (if setAllflags is set, it will use gprT1 in " t0 = setAllflags ? gprT1 : gprF3;" which is obviously true for this bit.)
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

The glitch is present in both of the versions you sent me. I even used completely default settings (minus controls) to test it.
But that was the only change I saw with microvu since 4600

can you try some other builds through the orphis buildbot for me? see if you can narrow it down to a specific revision?

http://buildbot.orphis.net/pcsx2/

that page goes back further than ours.
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

Better late than never.

So, I did my testing, and uh, well, it's brief. I'll explain that in a minute. Remember that everything is at default, and speedhacks are off.

PCSX2 0.9.8 release (r4600)
[retested] Glitch is not present, fully functional with MicroVU0.

r4700
Glitched, requires SuperVU0.

Well... I had been planning to do every build till I found the exact build that caused this, but uh, I can't. The builds bot only goes back to 4690. *shrug* I need access to every build between 4600 and 4700 to really do that process by elimination trick, and I'm willing to do it, if someone can provide them for me.

On a side note, I believe MGS3 has the error as well. I was hiding under a bed and goons came in, and they immediately detected me and shot at me through the bed, as though I was in broad daylight. Of course that was pretty familiar to me, after MGS2, so I switched the emulator over to SuperVU0, and they immediately stopped shooting, and knelt down to go after me. So yea, sounds like it has the same problem. It is very hard to test this in MGS3 though, so I'm not even going to try.