..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: Shadow of the Colossus !!!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37
Ok, i'm going to post all the test i did with many versions of PCSX and GSDX to get the bast SOC experience.

First my PC specs:

Corei7 920 @ 2.67 (although turbo gets it to 2.87 when using PCSX2)
MSI x58 Platinum
12 GB DDR3 Triple Channel
BFG Geforce 8800 GTS 512MB OC (yes i know its getting old)

For speed hacks i have 1 VU Stealing, x2 EE Cycle Rate and IOP x2 Cycle Rate. This config gave me great speed with r1888 emu and 1650 GSDx (this version of GSDx it´s "less" affected by the bloom bug, but still has shadow problems)

Now i tried to use the latest beta r3113 but i allways found this version significantly slower than the good old r1888. (it´s almost as if some speedhacks are disabled and do nothing.

So i wanted to be able to use r1888 with the latest eliotcougar plugin (GSdx-SSE4-r3536m-best-SotC-fix.dll), i just copied w32pthreads.v4.dll on the r1888 folder and the plugin loaded fine but now the emu crashed at start.

Tried many things to no avail, and finally i found out (accidentaly Blink) how to run it. Just run FRAPS and leave it open and voila, the emu r1888 starts with the latest eliotcougar GSDx plugin and waaaay faster than the new beta, now it runs almost allways at 60 fps Biggrin.

Actually i don't know how other people can get 60 fps on the new beta on lower specs machines.

Thank PCSX2 team for a great emu, and eliotcougar for the great plugin.
What's FRAPS got to do with PCSX2 running? Please explain this...
(07-28-2010, 06:48 AM)damm78v Wrote: [ -> ]Ok, i'm going to post all the test i did with many versions of PCSX and GSDX to get the bast SOC experience.

First my PC specs:

Corei7 920 @ 2.67 (although turbo gets it to 2.87 when using PCSX2)
MSI x58 Platinum
12 GB DDR3 Triple Channel
BFG Geforce 8800 GTS 512MB OC (yes i know its getting old)

For speed hacks i have 1 VU Stealing, x2 EE Cycle Rate and IOP x2 Cycle Rate. This config gave me great speed with r1888 emu and 1650 GSDx (this version of GSDx it´s "less" affected by the bloom bug, but still has shadow problems)

Now i tried to use the latest beta r3113 but i allways found this version significantly slower than the good old r1888. (it´s almost as if some speedhacks are disabled and do nothing.

So i wanted to be able to use r1888 with the latest eliotcougar plugin (GSdx-SSE4-r3536m-best-SotC-fix.dll), i just copied w32pthreads.v4.dll on the r1888 folder and the plugin loaded fine but now the emu crashed at start.

Tried many things to no avail, and finally i found out (accidentaly Blink) how to run it. Just run FRAPS and leave it open and voila, the emu r1888 starts with the latest eliotcougar GSDx plugin and waaaay faster than the new beta, now it runs almost allways at 60 fps Biggrin.

Actually i don't know how other people can get 60 fps on the new beta on lower specs machines.

Thank PCSX2 team for a great emu, and eliotcougar for the great plugin.
I'm not sure what your problem is... I could get 60fps with the latest svn build, Intel Q6600 @ 2.7GHz and nVidia 8800 GTS 512MB...

Enable four "recommended" speedhacks and VU Cycle Stealing = 2... Do not enable EE Cycle rate hack or IOP Cycle rate hack... If you want to use high resolution, enable the "half-pixel offset hack" in gsdx... Note that your GPU is able to run SotC fullspeed at 2x resolution... 3x is too much...
(07-28-2010, 06:50 AM)Nightfox Wrote: [ -> ]What's FRAPS got to do with PCSX2 running? Please explain this...

I don't know either why it happens, it just does. I had fraps running to benchmark other game and forgot to close it, and when tried to run PCSX r1888 it ran.

Without it and trying to run the newest plugin with r1888 PCSX2 it gives and error at startup and closes itself.

I'm running Vista x64 with the latest Directx 11. Also i use FRAPS 2.9.9 build 8086
(07-28-2010, 12:10 PM)eliot_cougar Wrote: [ -> ]I'm not sure what your problem is... I could get 60fps with the latest svn build, Intel Q6600 @ 2.7GHz and nVidia 8800 GTS 512MB...

Enable four "recommended" speedhacks and VU Cycle Stealing = 2... Do not enable EE Cycle rate hack or IOP Cycle rate hack... If you want to use high resolution, enable the "half-pixel offset hack" in gsdx... Note that your GPU is able to run SotC fullspeed at 2x resolution... 3x is too much...

Don´t get me wrong i do get 60 fps on the latest beta, but it´s not a stable 60. There are many places where it dips towards 30 fps, for example the intro gets very slow on many parts. Also by using 2 VU Cycle stealing breaks the games secuences, in the intro for example the audio and video slowly get out of sync up to a moment the subtitles and audio are about 2 seconds off and it suddenly crashes the emu before it can finish the intro secuence.

With official beta r1888 (downloaded from PCSX2 googlecode official page) and using your latest plugin, with 1 VU Stealing, x2 EE Cycle Rate and IOP x2 Cycle Rate, i have a much more stable 60 fps, and the game can be played from start to finish, it doesn´t crash and you can watch the intro and ending without problems (and at an almost steady 60 fps!).

About the GSDx config I use 2x scaling (for me there is no point on running a PS2 game on PCSX2 if not for the possibility of runing it on HD Cool ).

Try it for yourself and tell me your findings.

PD: Just don't forget to have FRAPS running on the background (i still need that someone explains that to me Blink). Oh and if you like Vsync you'll need to edit the GSDx.ini file manually, as the new plugin has that option removed from it´s GUI.
I forgot to mention than on r1888 the GSDx plugin runs faster on DX9 than DX10/11, so i use it in DX9.

Although the opposite is true on the new r3113 beta Ohmy

Also i would need someone to explain that to me.
Gee... that was annoying to read...

1) There's no need to make multiple posts, you can just edit your last post and add the new info.
2) There's no need to make huge quotes or long chain quotes, just quote the part you're answering to.
3) There's no need to quote the last post right before yours... specially when it's YOUR own post...

Warned and edited so it's readable...
(07-29-2010, 03:15 AM)damm78v Wrote: [ -> ]Don´t get me wrong i do get 60 fps on the latest beta, but it´s not a stable 60. There are many places where it dips towards 30 fps, for example the intro gets very slow on many parts. Also by using 2 VU Cycle stealing breaks the games secuences, in the intro for example the audio and video slowly get out of sync up to a moment the subtitles and audio are about 2 seconds off and it suddenly crashes the emu before it can finish the intro secuence.

With official beta r1888 (downloaded from PCSX2 googlecode official page) and using your latest plugin, with 1 VU Stealing, x2 EE Cycle Rate and IOP x2 Cycle Rate, i have a much more stable 60 fps, and the game can be played from start to finish, it doesn´t crash and you can watch the intro and ending without problems (and at an almost steady 60 fps!).
I have [email protected] and nVidia 8800GTS... I use PCSX2 r3535 and GSDX r3532... I use all recommended speedhacks plus VU Cycle stealing = 2... The intro goes fullspeed from the start till the end (except that scene with the mask in the fog)... Somewhere after r3300 there's no unsyncing when using VU Cycle stealing...
But the ending (credits) still crashes with VU Cycle stealing = 2, I had to disable it before the crash moment...
I suspect using both VU Cycle stealing, EE Cycle rate and IOP cycle rate hacks increases crash rate very much...
(07-29-2010, 11:45 AM)eliot_cougar Wrote: [ -> ]I have [email protected] and nVidia 8800GTS... I use PCSX2 r3535 and GSDX r3532... I use all recommended speedhacks plus VU Cycle stealing = 2... The intro goes fullspeed from the start till the end (except that scene with the mask in the fog)... Somewhere after r3300 there's no unsyncing when using VU Cycle stealing...
But the ending (credits) still crashes with VU Cycle stealing = 2, I had to disable it before the crash moment...
I suspect using both VU Cycle stealing, EE Cycle rate and IOP cycle rate hacks increases crash rate very much...

Well, maybe it´s something else, i will try PCSX r3535 and see. But i tell you, I played from start to finish the whole game with the config I posted without a single crash and at an almost constant 60 fps (what more could i ask Biggrin ). Now i´m at the second playthrough doing the time attacks and collecting the anoying lizards.
Hey eliot, this plugin is an amazing work. Thanks for that. But I have a problem with my SotC. I'm using your SSE41 Plugin but i just have 30 - 40 Frames Ingame.

This is my PC.

Windows Vista Home Premium with Service Pack 2 32Bit
Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q8200 @ 2.33 GHz
4GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GT

# PCSX2 version: Pcsx2- 0.9.7 3353 (svn)
# CPU options: default, Frame Limiting normal, all Recommended Speedhacks + VU Cycle on 2.

Don't get it. I finished a lot of ps2 rpgs with full speed but i dont get it.

Hope you can help Wink
(08-08-2010, 07:52 PM)PimpPanse Wrote: [ -> ]Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q8200 @ 2.33 GHz
You need at least 2.8GHz...
You should be able to overclock your CPU to 3.0+GHz easily...
I am currently trying to play this. I'm getting 45-60fps and sometimes the sound is garbled. I really want a rock solid 60fps or at least only dropping 3-5fps which isn't particularly noticeable IMO. So my current settings are 2x scaling with VU cycle 2 and all the recommended hacks. Also would creating an ISO of my disc increase speed?

System Specs:
Phenom II x2 555 @3.8ghz OC
3gb DDR3 1200mhz
Radeon 4850 512mb x2 xfire
Windows 7 32bit
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37