..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: GSdx 1.0
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Sad Do you have the issue in other game ? Could be a bug in GSdx but the testcase is a proof that the driver is partially broken. I begin to doubt that it will ever work on AMD (windows) ...

The best test will be to boot on a linux box and try the free driver.

Quote: I can't understand why AMD is so crap with OpenGL.
They don't have money so there is a limited number of people working on it. Let's be honest, if AMD drops proprietary driver on linux, it is because the free driver is a cheaper/more robust alternative (maybe AMD loves open source. But often codes become open source when enterprises got difficulties).
Only games i tried is SH2 in a simple place though, maybe SH3 don't remember.
Ratchet seems to be the killer, perhaps it's the mipmapping.

Well can't deny that, Open Source is kind of a double edged sword depending on the scenario.
As much as i like AMD, i have had so many weird issues over the years cause of drivers or whatnot.

Will probably get Pascal if the prices go down as they cost a fortune here;P
Or perhaps Maxwell 2nd handWink

Might try Linux, but most likely not as will probably mess something upp, though if i can do it from an USB Live install it might be easier.
hopefully price war will start with custom model of 480x (or much much later with AMD high-end).
Yeah that's what i am waiting for;P
And will be fun to see if Zen causes some struggle for Intel (most likely not, but if it sells cheap they will be forced to act).

So it's an interesting future ahead!
Well let's wait Zen release.

I hope people won't be disappointed.

At least maybe Intel could stop to produce those useless APU for the desktop market. From a fab point of view, 8 core is likely as expensive as the 4 core + iGPU.
Well i actually kinda want the iGPU cause of the Hardware Decoder/Encoder, Cause AMDs is kinda buggy.
Then again i would assume Nvidia not to be and then it would lose it's meaning expect for maybe some DX12/Vulkan multi gpu scenario.

Doubt they will stop with it though, currently they just do that for their "-E" series or something right?
Which is always one generation behind.
Well, a 8 core + a small hardware unit to handle advance codec will be enough (even 4 core). On smartphone (at least on SoC I got access) there is a dedicated unit to handle the video, it is around 20mm2 (at 28nm). It is quite small.

Yes only the E serie is CPU only, but it is purely artificial to keep margin high enough (and to have something to sell next year). Yes there are 1 or 2 generation behind. I got an Haswell-E 2 year ago. But Broadwell E was just released. My guess, they do a server silicon and tune it for workstation. That being said, the gain of new generation is ultra-low. Honestly, a bit less and they will go backward Wink

I hope AMD will enter the CPU only market. Otherwise I will keep mine for 10 years.
That's true, well i would be happy with a Hardware De/Encoder that's (at least as good as the current ones).
GPU isn't something i care about, though it can be useful at time, but not worth the cost if one can get more cores that's for sure.

Yeah precisely, basically everything is in a standstill nowadays, so they use all kind of tricks to sell something "new".
So the only reason to actually buy new stuff is if the new stuff (as in Support, Motherboard things) is of use to you.

Which is sad, i remember the good old days when a new generation actually was a New Generation;P

I truly hope so as well, if they did things would change and force progress, though i don't have high expectations.

Though, 10 years, really?
Isn't that quite a long time even for that kind of CPU, i mean since you had it some time i can assume already?

Mine is i5 760, so well i have had it for, i duno 5 years maybe, though as it was before Sandy Bridge i will at least hopefully notice something when i upgrade xD
My cpu is the i7-5960X (8 cores) overclocked at 4GHz. It is already 2 year old and there is 0 improvement. Even if Intel can sustain a 5% IPC increase by year, next upgrade won't be soon. The only nicety is AVX512 but it is too heavy (speed&power) for current technology. My guess is that they will introduce it for 10 nm but it will be really usable when we reach 7nm.

So maybe not 10 years but likely a too long time Wink
Ah right AVX512, wasn't it supposed to come with Skylake or something, but then it had to wait and only -E got it,
not sure which series though, i guess Skylake-E?

How will the benefit be from AVX512 compared to current AVX, and how beneficial is AVX at all, compared to SSE etc.
From my very basic understanding it's supposedly quite good with Graphical calculations or something,
think i read it somewhere that it gave some nice boost for it at least.

I don't even have AVX so quite clueless on it in real life performance.

EDIT:

What do you mean with that it's too heavy for current technology, do you mean the instruction set won't be able to be utilized programming wise until a bit later?