..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: GSdx 1.0
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Will the sudden drop of using geometry shader for blending cause any regressions? And who uses mesa anyway?
(08-01-2015, 10:52 AM)gregory Wrote: [ -> ]Yes. I'm still trying to stabilize the code. Prafull reports me 3 regressions in the past few days... However I know that the new code fixes some effects and is much faster to emulate those special effects. So I asked specific test.

@kein check the PR thread of the branch. A build were posted.
Sounds great, looking forward to seeing this next evolution of GSDX.

Been using it and the OpenGL performance is just great, using it primarily now unless to take screenshots with AA Laugh
Fight Night Round3 using 1st August Git
Auto Gamefixes off
OpenGl HW
x2 res
Bleding Unit Accuracy - Basic
HW OG depth- tick
Accurate Date-tick
HW Hacks-Tick
CRC Hack level-None
Round Sprite-Tick
Align Sprite-Tick
Game is Working Perfectly in OpenGl HW- There used to be an issue with texture`s on ring girls and Managers, but its now fixed :-)
(08-01-2015, 03:10 PM)turtleli Wrote: [ -> ]Does GSdx render differently when the "Allow 8-bit textures" option is enabled?

I just noticed that on both Suikoden Tactics and Suikoden 4, the texture filtering artifacts (off by a pixel, #630) disappears when it's enabled.

EDIT: It doesn't matter if it's D3D9, D3D11 or OpenGL either.

Quote: Modern GPU aren't equipped to handle 8 bit textures well, so normally we convert them to e.g. 32 bits or whatever. However, sometimes this causes issues. Allow 8 bit textures allows them to be used directly, but the performance can be worse because as I said modern GPUs just aren't designed to deal with them efficiently.
Older GPU uses to support in hardware index texture. It was a waste of silicon so they replace it with a shader. You just need an additional lookup to get the final color. So it is faster to not use it because your shading processor can do others jobs. It is often better to do the conversion once at texture creation than to add an extra lookup for each texel fetches.

In theory it must be equivalent but there is small differences. You can't interpolate index.
8 bits:
1/ fetch 4 indexs
2/ convert them into 4 colors.
3/ interpolate between colors

32 bits:
1/ Directly fetch an interpolated colors
Or
1/ Fetch 4 colors (potentially each colors was already interpolated)
2/ Interpolate between 4 colors.

So you're going to ask me, isn't it the same? Unfortunately no. First difference is the HW interpolation won't use same coefficient as a SW (read done in shader) interpolation. Then the other potential issue is HW-unit will interpolate between 4 adjacent texels whereas GS could interpolate between disjoint texels...

Short answer, if you disable the extra filtering (the one I called forced on linux), it will work better Wink

Quote: Will the sudden drop of using geometry shader for blending cause any regressions? And who uses mesa anyway?
The commit allow to use blending without geometry shader. I didn't drop GS. However, please remember that gsdx-ogl target LINUX users only.

Quote: Been using it and the OpenGL performance is just great, using it primarily now unless to take screenshots with AA
Quote: Game is Working Perfectly in OpenGl HW- There used to be an issue with texture`s on ring girls and Managers, but its now fixed :-)
Smile
Thanks for the explanations. I actually use the PS2 texture filtering, I never use the forced texture filtering.
(08-01-2015, 10:52 AM)gregory Wrote: [ -> ]@kein check the PR thread of the branch. A build were posted.

"PR thread"?
(08-02-2015, 05:27 PM)Kein Wrote: [ -> ]"PR thread"?

the pull request present at Github : https://github.com/PCSX2/pcsx2/pull/688#...-126877119
Was i hallucinating or did i see Gabest name attached to some git updates??
(08-04-2015, 02:19 AM)tsunami2311 Wrote: [ -> ]Was i hallucinating or did i see Gabest name attached to some git updates??

Looking at the last few years, nothing new. He appears from the void just as he disappears into it. Tongue
Is anyone else getting major slowdowns in MGS2 codec conversations and outdoor rain in the tanker mission?