..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: No interlacing codes
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi everyone,

I've been playing Resident Evil 4 (PAL Fr version, but I have same problem with the US one) recently on my HDTV via YUV cable. I realized that even in progressive scan, the picture is somehow Blurry and GRAINY.
It's a pity according that the game has great textures and great graphics overall. These kind of filters may give good effects on a CRT tv but on HDTV it spoils everything. Any chance anyone knows how to get rid of those crappy filters?

Thanks in advance!
(04-22-2023, 10:34 PM)Agent 86 Wrote: [ -> ]Hi everyone,

I've been playing Resident Evil 4 (PAL Fr version, but I have same problem with the US one) recently on my HDTV via YUV cable. I realized that even in progressive scan, the picture is somehow Blurry and GRAINY.
It's a pity according that the game has great textures and great graphics overall. These kind of filters may give good effects on a CRT tv but on HDTV it spoils everything. Any chance anyone knows how to get rid of those crappy filters?

Thanks in advance!

apparently dithering is enabled when the 480p mode is on because texture quality is reduced or something....
Requesting:
Legacy of Kain - Blood Omen 2 (USA)
SLUS-20024
9A8DC7D3

@someother1ne
A pack with all the no interlace and progressive codes posted here and in the git hubs updated to 26-April-2023.
The pack and all my other packs can be found in my page:
http://psxdatacenter.com/psx2/downloads2.html
(04-23-2023, 11:59 PM)carloss Wrote: [ -> ]apparently dithering is enabled when the 480p mode is on because texture quality is reduced or something....

You're right. Dithering is enabled only when 480p is selected.

Here what I see when launching the game:

*In 480i mode:
 -Résolution: 512x448.
 -NO Dithering but...
-... Excessive Blur.

*In 480p mode:
 -Résolution: 640x448.
 -Heavy Dithering, seems animated like a grainy film (seen something similar in "Killzone").
 -Less Blur (only on the farther part of the screen, (the low res textures from LOD technique)).

It's really a shame, those filters are a bad idea! I do not find that the quality of the textures are reduced or bad. 

I heard there is debug symbols on this game but I don't know if it can helps in this case. That is said.

Regards,
Texture quality is not reduced. It is the bit depth of the frame buffer that is reduced. Dithering may look ugly, but the colour banding is much worse definitely.

It is the problem of nearly every progressive scan capable title. I would say it is better to play with progressive mode turned off. PCSX2 can ignore the PCRTC display circuit blur, but I have no idea if RE4 does use it in the interlaced mode. Removing the blur and supersampling the image might be a good idea to improve the quality.
First time I make a code for a PS2 game with the help of the people here.
Mortal Kombat Shaolin monks PAL
SLES-53524 - 3D02E0BF
Code:
comment= (Mangaleto)
//No interlacing
patch=1,EE,2027483C,extended,00000000
patch=1,EE,202746F0,extended,00000000
Beat Down Fists of Vengeance NTSC-U No Interlacing Patch
(04-27-2023, 08:17 PM)Agrippa Wrote: [ -> ]Texture quality is not reduced. It is the bit depth of the frame buffer that is reduced. Dithering may look ugly, but the colour banding is much worse definitely.

It is the problem of nearly every progressive scan capable title. I would say it is better to play with progressive mode turned off. PCSX2 can ignore the PCRTC display circuit blur, but I have no idea if RE4 does use it in the interlaced mode. Removing the blur and supersampling the image might be a good idea to improve the quality.

Well, playing without the built-in progressive scan and using xploder hdtv player or GSM can be a good way to resolve this issue, but it needs two things to fix:

-Increase res from 512x448 to 640x448 (the game is letterbox in 4:3 ratio and needs a bump in resolution to get rid of black bars when 480p is enforced).

-A Disable Blur code would be highly appreciated Wink.

Regards,
Burnout 3: Takedown PAL (SLES-52585)

The PAL version of the game doesn't have a way to turn on 480p mode, these patches turns the 60 Hz mode into 480p.