..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: SPU2-X v2
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
It's a nice idea but there's no way to (programmatically) tell which voice should go on which channel, unfortunately
Wait isn't PS2's SPU able of 64 internal channels (pre-mixing state)? Couldn't you skip the mixing and assign/map them manualy? (feel free to educate me on the case with info, I've studied music technology and audio engineering) You can't do it automaticaly, you need to make like a specific patch for each game that somebody did the work and analyzed what passes through each channel and map them to a speaker or alternatively add an a 64 channel (meh way too many I know) mixer that instructs the output like assigning AUX channels to a specific output. What I did on this game is first kill all the outputs related to synthesized music using ADSM samples, record it, then go back and kill all the rest except them. I can do it one by one but I need quite some time to experiment which one kills which, the music/speech thing is easy, all channels after the first 32 are for speech, FX etc.

EDIT: BTW, I can't stop LAUGHING with the completely out of tune vocals of the first Sora verse of Under The Sea in English. I BET engineers accidentaly forgot to use the one that is tuned/autotuned and sent for mastering/mixing the original one. XD
Maybe another patch can be made or maybe you can map the channels internally into the game itself. Is it possible to input a dolby digital or dolby pro logic 5.1 track in replace to the original stereo/mono tracks?
no @jaden. doesn't work. you don't get a magical surround sound from stereo. a nice fake maybe is to decouple the ps2's dsp (reverb and echo fx) with some phase effect and filter and use that as surround output. it's kinda a psychoacoustic. might just emulate a directed soundwave. if the panning is good and the reverb fits one could indeed get a shot sound to "pass by your head". but theory so far... Wink
Decoding support for AC3 would be kinda nice, though, but I think I remember reading that was considered very low priority due to small handful of games that actually have FMVs with AC3 streams, all of which always have a stereo alternative.
Still, would be nice someday Smile
(10-01-2012, 03:24 AM)xstyla Wrote: [ -> ]no @jaden. doesn't work. you don't get a magical surround sound from stereo. a nice fake maybe is to decouple the ps2's dsp (reverb and echo fx) with some phase effect and filter and use that as surround output. it's kinda a psychoacoustic. might just emulate a directed soundwave. if the panning is good and the reverb fits one could indeed get a shot sound to "pass by your head". but theory so far... Wink

You don't get magical surround from stereo indeed but we say to skip PS2's mixing to stereo and give the 64 internal channels to the sound card manually to mix them and this is possible. The thing is how difficult it is or how much somebody wills to do such thing. Ofcourse in fmvs this wouldnt work but still everything else would work.
There are 2 SPU cores in the chip with 24 voices or channels each, so 48 in total.
Also there's streaming via ADMA for playing 2 software channels from the IOP (stereo audio with 44.1kHz usually).
We could indeed route all of these channels differently for fun and giggles but it wouldn't really enhance a game
unless the comunity redid the entire game's mixing.

I think that xstyla's idea has more merit. Putting the reverb on the surround speakers with some extra effects would
give a really immersive effect.
I thought of what xstyla said aswell but if you put a voice's channel on a different axis, depending on the position of your head and the position of the speakers in the room it creates severe phasing which was a crusial thing I had to learn to my 5.1 mastering lessons back in university. With a simple Mixer you could manualy map whatever you want or have some random presets because if I remember correct, music that is generated from samples comes always from the 32 first channels on ALL games.

EDIT: I have actually a game universal idea.
Let's say that 12 voices are sent to the right channel.
You could devide them by /2 and send half of them in the front channel and the rest in the rear. You get the idea...

EDIT 2: Just found out that other emulators do exactly the same as I said above. Meh Quadraphonic audio on the original GameBoy is a bit of an overkill but still cool!
yeah. klm dreaming again? you can't simply map sounds randomly to surround channels. where you get the info of the orientation of the sound? you need a vector. for stereo your vectors are that left in front and right in front of you. that's that. the important you need to have is a approximation of the space - aka length of the vector. i did by using the reverb and echo values that are maybe attached to the sound channels. if it doesn't have fx you can't do spatial. that's it. then what you can do is crossfading left right with 90 degree panning the mono channel and you only get a spatial echo on the opposing crossfade surround direction or a reverb you gotta mix yourself over all speakers. with a lucky overlay or phase shift of the waves you end up having close to ear sound on echo fx. but else it ends up as a simple spatial reverb or echo from the opposing wall. so far for your audio education.

finding myself tryna read the specs again. i only remembered what music 2000 had on the psx. it's the same spu just twice. and noticed that the spu doesn't even seperate per channel effects per se. makes that even more obvious just to space the reverb mix.
(10-01-2012, 03:25 PM)rama Wrote: [ -> ]There are 2 SPU cores in the chip with 24 voices or channels each, so 48 in total.
Also there's streaming via ADMA for playing 2 software channels from the IOP (stereo audio with 44.1kHz usually).
We could indeed route all of these channels differently for fun and giggles but it wouldn't really enhance a game
unless the comunity redid the entire game's mixing.

I think that xstyla's idea has more merit. Putting the reverb on the surround speakers with some extra effects would
give a really immersive effect.

I'm all for that. Kingdom Hearts in true 5.1? Yeah!