..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: SPU2-X v2
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Strange, I have been using the 5.1 for a long time and it is working fine (soundcard x-fi titanium).

Can anyone experimenting sound issues to report the sound engine being used?
(11-20-2012, 09:38 PM)refraction Wrote: [ -> ]Sorry if im misunderstanding what you're getting at here, but the PS2 only supports ADPCM format at a rate of 48khz, it doesn't support standard PCM, it is all in the compressed format.

(before you call me a liar, i have documents which say so ;p)
I don't call you liar, I just try to find what's the wrong thing in this maze of weirdness/mystery and I need help. Also, you shouldn't blindly trust those documents and generaly documents from Sony, there are DOZENS of stuff undocumented and I think I know which documents you talk about. Some of the previously undocumnted stuff got included on later documents that came with later SDKs for example. Just take most Square Soft./Enix games contain headerless PCM audio for their speech data, you can dump them from the game disc using some scripts or cutting the audio chunk with a HEX editor. Also some games I noticed that instead of ADPCM samples on their synthesized ingame soundtracks they use PCM samples instead for stuff like vocals/saxophones and generaly stuff that their quality gets drasticaly terribly affected when they are converted to ADPCM which is a very common mechanic done on early '00s on professional music sessions that had a size limmit.
Hmm true... There is a feature known as "autodma" which i believe actually bypasses the ADPCM conversion as it is an SPDIF input, which could be the thing you are talking about, it acts like a buffer directly connected to the output mixer so it doesn't have to travel through the normal channels. I guess that is coming in as pure PCM.
(11-20-2012, 11:20 PM)refraction Wrote: [ -> ]Hmm true... There is a feature known as "autodma" which i believe actually bypasses the ADPCM conversion as it is an SPDIF input, which could be the thing you are talking about, it acts like a buffer directly connected to the output mixer so it doesn't have to travel through the normal channels. I guess that is coming in as pure PCM.

Intresting. I mean, I'm pretty possitive that from the time I first used PCSX2 I noticed something unfamiliar with the audio, untill I realised that there were audio samples that were getting interpolated when they shouldn't.
Also, ADPCM doesn't importantly suck that much, with the correct adaptations you can get nice results that you even possibly won't notice the difference between PCM and ADPCM let alone the fact that they don't need at all interpolation. So my question is what type do they use? (μ-Law, A-law etc)
What ever sounds better of course. Although things like that are reserved for mostly audiophiles
(11-21-2012, 04:31 AM)jadentheman Wrote: [ -> ]Although things like that are reserved for mostly audiophiles

Not entirely true, there is absolutely nobody that can't distinct the difference between an ADPCM sample interpolated and a real PCM due to the heavy aliasing and SNR and ADPCM being a veeery ancient type of bitrate compression. It's almost like comparing telephone audio with cd quality audio. Unless somebody has a serious hearing issue he will notice the difference even without the need of a comparison.
lol klm. i'm sure you dieing 1000 deaths listening to mp3 do you? no seriously... aren't you taking that quality thing a lil too serious? it's a gaming console... no opera. Wink
(11-21-2012, 11:26 AM)xstyla Wrote: [ -> ]lol klm. i'm sure you dieing 1000 deaths listening to mp3 do you? no seriously... aren't you taking that quality thing a lil too serious? it's a gaming console... no opera. Wink

I take it that you only play in GSDx Software mode or native resolution, then?

It's just a game console after all, not the Mona Lisa.
Without looking, i believe SPU2-X has different Interpolation settings in it's gui, one which is "PS2-like" but slow, you could try that and see if that sounds more how you expected it?

Edit: Yeh it has CatMull-Rom as an option
(11-21-2012, 12:15 PM)Krude Wrote: [ -> ]... native resolution, then?

correct! my laptop doesn't do better. Wink

ontopic. there's no way changing it doing adpcm only. and most compression is a lil lossy. so the quality get's worse. too bad. *shrugs*