..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: SPU2-X v2
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(12-12-2012, 01:46 PM)nosisab Ken Keleh Wrote: [ -> ]There is a problem with the newest revisions, I'm runing with the 5446 for testing purposes, so far no crash yet but I had one once and it is somewhat random, the 5459 crashed for me at least three times.

Nothing has changed in SPU2-X that would even remotely touch XAudio2 since r5446, if anything would crash it would be the spu2x.dll itself, not xaudio. Also as the issue mega blokey is having is with dolphin too i would suggest the problem is actually elsewhere.
We would need to know Windows version, service pack number and maybe primary sound card name.
The problem likely comes from an incompatible .dll which we want to avoid loading.
(12-12-2012, 10:53 PM)rama Wrote: [ -> ]We would need to know Windows version, service pack number and maybe primary sound card name.
The problem likely comes from an incompatible .dll which we want to avoid loading.

Indeed, I have been playing with the 5446 for hours now without any issue. Game FF-X. I'll return to the 5459 and continue from there. I have been avoiding sstates so to not interfere in any way with the testing.

For the records it's Windows 8, SB X-Fi titanium, driver actualized for win8 (beta). Original Azalea sound disabled at the Mobo's BIOS.

The previous crashes I could link to the sound but can't grant it came from the emulator or plugin. Reverting to 5436 played for a very long time without problems. So I'm testing now with the 5446 and no issues till now. The next session I'll be on the latest spu2-X version I have here (5459).

Sorry but I could not reproduce the issue in any consistent way, it is seemingly random. So I can't file a bug report either, if a bug exist and is not a problem at my side.

I'll let you informed, either if get any crash or otherwise.

@refraction
I do understand that just dabbling with warning messages would not appear to be a problem but on the other hand, in my long career as system analyst I have seen strange things... don't be surprised if that could affect timings in some way. Still, I'm not telling it caused issues also Smile
I have a horrible suspicion Windows 8 is the constant factor here..... However Metagondria might be running windows 7, not sure. Attempted guesses from his previous posts xD
(12-13-2012, 12:30 AM)refraction Wrote: [ -> ]I have a horrible suspicion Windows 8 is the constant factor here..... However Metagondria might be running windows 7, not sure. Attempted guesses from his previous posts xD

Now we have a same suspicion Smile
(12-13-2012, 12:30 AM)refraction Wrote: [ -> ]I have a horrible suspicion Windows 8 is the constant factor here..... However Metagondria might be running windows 7, not sure. Attempted guesses from his previous posts xD

Hehe... i DO SWEAR by Windows 7 x64.. i am Cool

No tablet/touchscreen pc = NO WIN8 for me Glare

Iam sure , there is a way to get back win7 look alike already like it was the case with the missing Quicklaunch toolbar back then Glare ...
WoW how i missed that feature at first in Windows 7 back then Glare !!

But for now iam good on win7, moreover it took me a long time to get win7 system running as smooth as it is now Rolleyes .. to go back to win8 now and have one disaster after another Glare !!

Tis like the song ehh... as Cool as Ice and Sweet as sugar.. so is windows 7 at the next level hahaha

About the SPU2X evil doer Evil ... fortunately i have found specific Win7x64 sound drivers while i was browsing the anus forums for compatible drivers for my sound onbard hobo Biggrin

I hate to say it but it is very plausible that the sound drivers might have something to do with those crashes!!!

"So far" no crashes .... in Dolphin ... yesterday tested...

Today, ill do an extensive test on pcsx2.... Closedeyes

cherriepoppers,
Totally off topic but I can't resist anymore, why do you call your Motherboard (Mobo) a Hobo? Laugh

On topic, I didn't have opportunity to test 5459 extensively yet, the first 30 or so min played not long ago were without incidents.
(12-13-2012, 05:30 PM)nosisab Ken Keleh Wrote: [ -> ]Totally off topic but I can't resist anymore, why do you call your Motherboard (Mobo) a Hobo? Laugh

Tis just a slip of the tongue Tongue *chortles*

TBH... its either that or ANUS Mellow ..

I call it as i see it Closedeyes

Given the turbelent history of this hobo from anus that i have purchased on Ehhbay i can't think of any other suitable name for it Tongue

It all started when this so called "Brandnew" hobo arived WHITOUT a BiosChip Glare !!

Tis for the first in my life i buy an so called """brandnew""" hobo whitout any Basic Input Output System Support (ala bios) ! (and i DO want to emphisize the """""")

But the seller stick to the Hard to SWALLOW story and claim it wos new..Glare

Indeed the hobo looked indeed new... only ... he/she didn't tell me who or why the Bioschip has been removed...

I can't imagine that anus or any other manufacture will sell brand new boards at retail stores from which the bios needs to be programmed by end users lol !!!

Anyway, fortunately i could find an bios supplier from this board and did fixed it myself ...

(12-13-2012, 05:30 PM)nosisab Ken Keleh Wrote: [ -> ]On topic, I didn't have opportunity to test 5459 extensively yet, the first 30 or so min played not long ago were without incidents.

So far tested SoC + new installed sound drivers = Promising Biggrin = no Faulty dll crash ... so far ... pcsx2 is still under supervision though Cool

cherriepoppers,
(12-10-2012, 04:40 PM)Eloris Wrote: [ -> ]As far as I'm aware, both of these technologies work on a driver level, with their main use coming in the form of the possibility to transport non-bitstreamed multichannel audio via S/PDIF, hence being only useful if you don't have another way to connect your surround system. They don't magically turn stereo sources into true surround sound, they still need to be fed what sound goes to which channel basically.

Games that use Pro Logic II encoding for surround sound work reasonably well, and these encoders should be able to encode that properly if they're any good. It's easy to test with the sound test mode that various tri-Ace games offer (Star Ocean 3 or Valkyrie Profile 2 for example).

Are you sure about that. Here is what the official dolby site says

Quote:Dolby® Digital Live is a real-time audio encoding technology that delivers interactive 5.1-channel Dolby Digital audio from games played on PlayStation® 3, Xbox®, and Xbox 360™ consoles.

Encodes 5.1-channel audio within the console from the game’s audio engine into a Dolby Digital output bitstream compatible with all Dolby Digital 5.1 playback systems, including audio/video receivers (AVRs), home-theater-in-a-box (HTIB) systems, and integrated 5.1 speaker systems
Enables unparalleled creativity for game developers, including effects placement and movement responsive to game play in real time
Delivers an immersing, involving gaming experience faithful to the developer’s sound design
Assigns channels the same as movies and all other 5.1-channel content (Left, Center, Right, Left Surround, Right Surround, and Low-Frequency Effects)
Requires no special equipment or technology for developers
Needs only one output connector on the console (S/PDIF)
Dolby Digital is an advanced audio coding technology that efficiently delivers up to 5.1 discrete channels of surround sound. Widely used throughout the world for cinema, home theater, and broadcasting, it also enables game developers to deliver a vibrant, totally immersing surround sound gaming experience to players with PlayStation 3, Xbox, and Xbox 360 consoles.

The key to gaming with interactive, discrete 5.1-channel surround sound is the presence in these consoles of Dolby Digital Live technology. It encodes 5.1-channel audio within the console from the game’s audio engine into a compact Dolby Digital bitstream in real time. Output from the console via a single S/PDIF connector, the bitstream can be decoded for 5.1-channel surround playback by any device equipped with Dolby Digital 5.1 decoding, including virtually all home theater systems and components, and integrated 5.1 speaker systems.

Dolby Digital Live as a standard feature in advanced game consoles makes it both possible and practical for game developers to deliver gaming experiences with unprecedented gamer involvement. Sonic perspectives and effects locations can follow the game action, such as when the player looks in a new direction or another player creeps up from behind. Whatever happens in the 5.1 mix from the game’s audio engine will be faithfully delivered to the gamer via the same proven Dolby Digital technology that powers cinemas and home theaters worldwide.

A further advantage is that game developers need no special equipment or licenses to create games that are compatible with Dolby Digital Live playback. Dolby, however, will upon request provide developers with assistance in assuring the delivery of the gaming experience they intend.

Here is one on DTS connect
Quote:DTS Interactive: This is a real-time DTS stream encoder. On the PC, it takes multichannel audio and converts it into a 1.5 Mbit/s DTS stream for output. Because it uses the original DTS codec to transmit audio, fidelity is limited to 5.1 channel at 48 kHz, 24bit. More than 5.1 channels, a higher sampling frequency or data rate are not supported, due to the lack of support for DTS variants such as DTS 96/24. It can also be found on some standalone devices (e.g., Surround Encoder). Nearly a dozen titles on the PlayStation 2 feature the "DTS Interactive" real-time stream encoder, such as Grand Theft Auto: Vice City and Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines.

Funny how some PS2 games already have this type of audio. Can you activate that or is it impossible?
Nothing there disagrees with what I said, but you seem to be confused by what this actually does and does not.

Let's try to break this down very simple. Modern games make active use of these encoders for real-time multichannel audio, they're feeding them all the needed channel information so the output will be a true digital multichannel stream.

PS2 games (or the overwhelming majority) don't do this, and will output only 2 channels. You cannot magically turn this into true 5.1 sound, the information is just not there.

Now, on the PC some soundcards support encoding their output to DD or DTS. There's really only one reason for this, and that is if your sound system is plugged into some form of external decoder/receiver/whathaveyou and you can't connect your PC to it with analog methods or HDMI.
Because a digital connection over S/PDIF is limited to stereo sound unless it's encoded and compressed (because S/PDIF has terribad bandwidth and cannot transport more than 2 channels of uncompressed PCM audio), you have to use DDL or DTS Connect to still be able to receive 5.1 sound from your PC.

Note here that this has nothing do with whatever sound comes out of PCSX2.

As for DTS decoding in PCSX2, I highly doubt it, although I've never had a game that actually makes use of it. At present it won't even decode static AC3 streams various games use in FMVs, so yeah.