..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: SPU2-X v2
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
All the changes made to spu2x recently are in the automatic svn builds, so I don't see your point?
We're talking about the visual debug thing that only devel builds of SPU2X have.
(10-15-2012, 12:19 PM)rama Wrote: [ -> ]We're talking about the visual debug thing that only devel builds of SPU2X have.
This doesn't seem to work on normal SVN builds of PCSX2 (it doesn't show up in the plugins folder). Obviously I'm missing/missunderstood something... Do I need a special build of PCSX2 generaly for this to show up?
2 bad. what's interesting is that only 3 people downloaded that. 1 was perhaps rama checking if the download works. 1 was me to check what he delivers. the other 1 was perhaps you to find yourself with something not working or that's not really worth coding anyway. Laugh
Meh, but I am really interested on putting effort into something I feel that I know or atleast educate myself firther into how PCSX2 works. I have a feeling that something went wrong in the build process and the plugin is corrupt.
I noticed that there are alot of games with some audio that get interpolated when there is absolutely no reason for such procedure because the ingame files are PCM 16bit 48Khz files hence there is nothing that should get interpolated. Is there a way to avoid the whole interpolation process? (And I don't mean set it to linear, I mean completely leave the samples untouched, like disable the whole interpolation theory) It feels like for some reason PS2/PCSX2 degrades the quality of the samples before playing them back which is a very odd and stupid thing to do.
Maybe the hardware couldn't handle the quality at the time when the PS2 was made, so they invented this method. How's the 5.0 channels thing going?
Actually, why do it in the first place? I don't really know how the kernel mixer in XP and before works, but from Vista on onwards, anything running in shared mode will get up/downsampled to whatever you set the output to anyway (and even directsound is just running in shared on WASAPI), and exclusive mode via portaudio seems to be broken.
It's certainly not my area of expertise so I might be missing something.
The thing is that certainly they could go on with ADPCM samples or lower quality samples that would get interpolated and sound identical plus it would mean like atleast 1/3rd more free space on the disc and would make some games fit in a single layer DVD or just a single DVD for the multiple disc ones hence less production costs for the company. I just don't get it, there is something going on but either way that's not the case I came up with that fact of "everything-gets-interpolated-when-it-shouldnt". Pretty like 2/3rds of the games I play use native PCM 16bit audio (usually they are headerless aka RAW audio) for their speech and Playstation (2) Sound Format samples yet for some reason they get force-interpolated making them sound metalic and more near to how sounds sound in NDS which is kinda weird why it has to happen when those samples are pure PCM lossless hence pretty like best quality out there. ADPCM Samples with Interpolation machanism draw more resources than just playing back the actual PCM audio as is on any hardware+API I can think of, let alone the idea of on-the-fly converting PCM to ADPCM (or whatever lower quality) and then on top of all interpolating that. I think it has to do with the fact that SPU2-X can't decide which stuff should get interpolated and which shouldn't and it just goes on and interpolate everything which gives a huge degradation of audio quality. The reason I came up with it is why it HAS to happen? I also need to play those games again to my PS2 because I have a feeling that some of them, especialy some speech on some of them, on the actual hardware it doesn't get interpolated when in PCSX2 it does.

(11-20-2012, 07:43 PM)jadentheman Wrote: [ -> ]Maybe the hardware couldn't handle the quality at the time when the PS2 was made, so they invented this method. How's the 5.0 channels thing going?

Nope not really, it's pretty enough powerful to do it, PSOne could handle it aswell and PS2 share 2 of the same chips PSOne had, so there is something more sophisticated going on.
As for the 5.1 thing, it's been over a month that the build got reported not working and there was no answer/comment on the broken dev build so untill I get a proper working build I'm/We are pretty like blocked.
(11-20-2012, 09:06 PM)VIRGIN KLM Wrote: [ -> ]The thing is that certainly they could go on with ADPCM samples or lower quality samples that would get interpolated and sound identical plus it would mean like atleast 1/3rd more free space on the disc and would make some games fit in a single layer DVD or just a single DVD for the multiple disc ones hence less production costs for the company.

Sorry if im misunderstanding what you're getting at here, but the PS2 only supports ADPCM format at a rate of 48khz, it doesn't support standard PCM, it is all in the compressed format.

(before you call me a liar, i have documents which say so ;p)