..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: SPU2-X v2
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Those were removed when we fixed reverb. Now it only has one "correct" setting Wink
(10-15-2013, 11:55 AM)refraction Wrote: [ -> ]I thought the reverb settings on spu2-x already had a "normal" and "insane reverb" style setting?

I've been outta the loop for PCSX2 for quite some time (no real reason), so I don't know how much progress has been made. Square Enix games have sounded kinda "flat" to me for a long time. FFX sounded very reverberated on the PS2, so I was just curious. If so, what SVN build has the best version of the plugin?

(10-15-2013, 12:28 PM)rama Wrote: [ -> ]Those were removed when we fixed reverb. Now it only has one "correct" setting Wink

So....does that mean that the fixed plugin is in the most recent SVN builds? What about some of the incorrect sound effects? As of what revisioni is this reverb option implemented?
I have a request - would it be possible for to have a checkbox that allows us to disable ADX music playback? Unless I'm mistaken, this would be similar to the feature on PSX emulator plugins that allows you to prevent XA playback, for instance if you hate the music but still want sound effects.
Okay, so about what I said earlier on how Final Fantasy X doesn't sound as pronounced (or reverberated) as it does on real PS2 hardware, the boss theme is where it's the most easily noticed. Especially in the cymbal sound, it sounds flat as in lack of said reverb, it's hard to describe, but I recorded the PS2 and emulated versions of the part I was referring to

PCSX2 1.1.0 5736 using most recent SPU plugin http://filetrip.net/view?6VmWYcz4UN
PS2, here's how it's supposed to sound (better reverb and the cymbals don't sound like they're shortened) http://filetrip.net/view?Eu2z7dPOYI

Note the differences, PCSX2 sounds "flat" in comparison, but I noticed it as an issue with Final Fantasy games, however Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3, Grandia 3, Star Ocean 3, Grandia 2 all sound perfect. FF games seem to be plagued by this.

Can this ever be properly looked into and improved at all?

Edit: Not trying to be ungrateful in anyway at all, don't get me wrong, but I'm curious as to why this has never been resolved? All Final Fantasy/Kingdom Hearts games sound "flat" in comparison to real PS2 hardware, and all other games on the same plugin sound perfect.
I think it takes someone with good ear, that noticed it and was willing to record and report for this issue to be looked into. So, good job, it's quite noticeable from your samples. Smile
(11-20-2013, 08:24 AM)KrossX Wrote: [ -> ]I think it takes someone with good ear, that noticed it and was willing to record and report for this issue to be looked into. So, good job, it's quite noticeable from your samples. Smile

Hey, I do what I can to help! It's funny, a lot of people comment on that, that I have very sensitive hearing when it comes to comparing emulation and real hardware Biggrin Not bad thing at all! I assumed that others would do the same, but I decided as I was playing Final Fantasy X today and fighting a boss battle that it's time I at least give it a shot. So I did. Now the question remains, what exactly is causing this? Can it be looked into to see what's going on in the SPU code that's preventing the reverb (I think) from functioning properly? Are there any other steps you would like for me to take, like possibly do ABX testing? Again, I want to help if I can Wink

Now, as for the actual plugin bug report, would that post suffice or would it be prudent to make a dedicated thread?
Well, pseudonym always mentioned the reverb is not 100% right.
I forgot what the differences where but aparently they show in FFX a lot.
I can clearly hear the difference in your recordings, nintendo85.
(11-20-2013, 10:26 AM)rama Wrote: [ -> ]Well, pseudonym always mentioned the reverb is not 100% right.
I forgot what the differences where but apparently they show in FFX a lot.
I can clearly hear the difference in your recordings, nintendo85.

So where do we go from here? Is this something that can be fixed or maybe looked into? I can do more testing/comparing if need be Cool FFX is the worst offender as far as sound goes, but other games sound perfect as far as I can tell. Also noticed the character swap/selection sound (the sound when you change between characters in-battle) is off, isolated that as well, but the reverb is the more important matter at the moment I think. Tongue

Guess what I'm trying to say is, would fixing it be possible, much less an extremely time-consuming and/or wasteful thing to improve? Heck, maybe I'm being too nitpicky about hearing a difference lolLaugh
Crap, maybe I should have made a bug report thread in the right place and not here.....
Nah it's fine Tongue2
If you want to help, you can fetch a devbuild of spu2-x and enable the debug logs.
Try to see if the boss battle gives you anything unusual.