..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: SPU2-X v2
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
ADPCM is a very lossy compression and sounds bad, yea. It always needs interpolation to fix the worst of it.
Sorry to have jumped into an ongoing talk and misunderstanding the real focus.

First I understood the spatialization was not working to everyone. That's not the case, at least in my system where I tested removing all special effects and CMMS3D. The bass redirection was kept and it may have helped making the sound better than what I recall playing in the console at the TV.

Yes, there are parts where the sound becomes a little (or a lot) messy, FFX-2 is a great example of less than good sound but then the whole game is a challenge to the emulator.

Well, apologies for being jumpy. There are many factors to take into account before crediting to the sound plugin all the guilt, if the emulator is already struggling to keep the pace in other areas that securely will affect the sound as well. Still there is much to be improved yet and the talk about perceived problems is helpful to the developers, some great ideas may come from it.
(11-21-2012, 11:26 AM)xstyla Wrote: [ -> ]lol klm. i'm sure you dieing 1000 deaths listening to mp3 do you? no seriously... aren't you taking that quality thing a lil too serious? it's a gaming console... no opera. Wink

You are not serious right? You do understand the distance of quality between a ADPCM sample and a PCM or any lossy audio file right? It takes no audiophile to distinquish it. I'm pointing out the fact that PS2 or PCSX2 has the tendency to interpolate samples that need no interpolation because they are natively high quality which is infact serious for a couple of reasons like wasted quality and added CPU load that gives a worse result than what you could get without it. What makes no sense to break it down? Also, don't take it personaly but mocking other people here about their opinions is kinda bleak for an adult and a coder like you and it won't get you somewhere other than getting pure disrespect. You can do better than that! Tongue2

If you still don't get the difference in quality, get this as example:
ADPCM sourced (sounds a bit better with interpolation but forget it for now): youtube.com/watch?v=prP-AJAh-Bg
PCM sourced: youtube.com/watch?v=C9dJRRTZyQ8

(11-21-2012, 01:31 PM)rama Wrote: [ -> ]ADPCM is a very lossy compression and sounds bad, yea. It always needs interpolation to fix the worst of it.

Glad that somebody gets what I mean. My point is why does a real PCM sample have to get interpolated too? Isn't that a terrible quality degradation? (that even costs CPU load, lol)
(11-21-2012, 03:24 PM)nosisab Ken Keleh Wrote: [ -> ]Sorry to have jumped into an ongoing talk and misunderstanding the real focus.

First I understood the spatialization was not working to everyone. That's not the case, at least in my system where I tested removing all special effects and CMMS3D. The bass redirection was kept and it may have helped making the sound better than what I recall playing in the console at the TV.

Yes, there are parts where the sound becomes a little (or a lot) messy, FFX-2 is a great example of less than good sound but then the whole game is a challenge to the emulator.

Well, apologies for being jumpy. There are many factors to take into account before crediting to the sound plugin all the guilt, if the emulator is already struggling to keep the pace in other areas that securely will affect the sound as well. Still there is much to be improved yet and the talk about perceived problems is helpful to the developers, some great ideas may come from it.

The interpolation methods DO sound better in PCSX2 than the actual PS2 itself I have to agree for that but my point was different and I guess this is why people missunderstand me.

I don't say, do this, do that, add this, add that... ...no that's not what I say.
What I'm trying to say is that I notice that developers included somewhere in the middle of PS2's lifecyrcle pure PCM samples for their audio inside their games which has to have a logical explanation because If I recall they are played correctly (high quality) on PS2 hardware but in PCSX2 they get treated as ADPCM samples which means interpolation and huge degradation of audio quality on top of the fact of extra CPU load that won't give benefit. I suspect there is something undocumented or obscure and I'm trying to put it on the surface.

PS: I think FFX-2 uses PCM samples for speech in the cutsceenes that the high poly models get rendered which should sound perfect.
okay klm. yeh the difference between is adpcm and pcm pretty obvious. dunno what this is about? there's nothing to say. about that interpolation on cd audio i can only point at the difference in frequency of the cdda in 44.1 and the adpcm in 48. now decide what you mix. adpcm needs interpolation and the pcm you could have extracted might actually be just that 44.1 and you gotta upsample it to 48k for the final ps2 mix. that might cost quality too.

and please don't come at me with that word respect on lax sound topics. i'm mocking popstars for their music and crappy audio samples, so i don't have any respaect on that. when i am then i am an audiophile too. Biggrin
It's not of a big deal actualy, I just wanted to point it out that there are games that use real PCM samples which is undocumented and that I fell like PCSX2 treats all of them as ADPCM which could cause from quality degradation to sound issues.
SPU2-X only interpolates real ADPCM.
The stuff that's getting decoded from SPU2 memory (2mb total), to be played on one of the 48 channels.
Any other audio source, including ADMA'd PCM is not getting the interpolation treatment.
Is there any way to disable music on games that don't offer that option? Would be useful for making videos where you want the original sound FX but want to lay over your own music track, and is easy on ePSXe with games that use XA or CDDA, as you can just disable playback of those types of music.
That depends on how the music plays in your particular game.
If you can code a bit, simply mute all the ADMA streams by making their volume = 0.
Unfortunately I can't...maybe a volume control for ADMA in future plugin version? Smile
(12-04-2012, 08:45 AM)vgrageaholic Wrote: [ -> ]Unfortunately I can't...maybe a volume control for ADMA in future plugin version? Smile
This might disable ALOT more stuff than just the music.
Your best luck is via cheats but good luck with that.