..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: SPU2-X v2
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(01-19-2013, 12:54 AM)rama Wrote: [ -> ]It's an attempt at simplifying the output system while making the plugin better suited for multi platform.
Your Skype problem is a conflict with the output module you've set SPU2-X to and Skype.

Thanks.
Some touches to the Soundtouch dialog. I rarely use it, but when I do I hate it... now I hate it less. Tongue

[Image: xk3Panl.jpg]

Trunk and portaudio. Binary + Patches, attached patches only.

PS: That WASAPI thing on the portaudio branch is awesome, got me some extra FPS.
Added to the portaudio branch. It'll be merged back sometime soon anyway Smile
Is anyone able to tell me the difference (sound quality wise) between Catmull-Rom and Hermite as well as XAudio 2 and DirectSound? I'm not too sure but I'm currently using Camull-Rom and DirectSound and DirectSound seems to sound better. Also, what does latency do? I'm trying to find the best combination for sound that I can =)
(02-03-2013, 04:52 AM)Tyestor Wrote: [ -> ]Is anyone able to tell me the difference (sound quality wise) between Catmull-Rom and Hermite as well as XAudio 2 and DirectSound? I'm not too sure but I'm currently using Camull-Rom and DirectSound and DirectSound seems to sound better. Also, what does latency do? I'm trying to find the best combination for sound that I can =)
Catmull is quite less sharp (anti-aliased) than Hermite but they are pretty close. Catmull is bad far my fav. Usually you will notice the difference in super sharp sounds like Kingdom Hearts in the keyblade slashing sounds and generaly in games that have sharp sounds in the drumkit soundbanks.
(02-03-2013, 02:12 PM)VIRGIN KLM Wrote: [ -> ]Catmull is quite less sharp (anti-aliased) than Hermite but they are pretty close. Catmull is bad far my fav. Usually you will notice the difference in super sharp sounds like Kingdom Hearts in the keyblade slashing sounds and generaly in games that have sharp sounds in the drumkit soundbanks.

So Hermite and Catmull-rom are the same except that Hermite has better sounding highs? What about DirectSound and XAudio 2?
(02-05-2013, 07:16 AM)Tyestor Wrote: [ -> ]So Hermite and Catmull-rom are the same except that Hermite has better sounding highs? What about DirectSound and XAudio 2?

Well, those highs are fake either way which are annoying for my taste (and I guess for general taste, our ear has some physical reasons that gets irritated in long time exposure of those sounds that can cause headache). What sound interpolators do is try to recover missing frequencies by overemphasazing harmonics or/and produce harmonics from the already given audio. Those two mechanics though are very close to the result of what our brain does when we are tired, been in a loud club for long time or been drinking or using "substances", so our brain starts a procedure of revival which results in headaches etc (this weird sound you hear after a exiting a loud club, it's very very near to the aliasing artifacts sound interpolators produce). So there is a difference of sharp and loud. Catmull's highs are not less loud, they are less sharp (aliased). Catmull's result isn't loweing the volume of the highs but anti-aliase them better than Hermite. So if you prefer to hear louder highs you can just amplify them!
As for DirectSound and XAudio 2 are two different sound implementations, the audio quality difference shouldn't be any different at all but the compatibility is the factor.
(02-05-2013, 01:02 PM)VIRGIN KLM Wrote: [ -> ]Well, those highs are fake either way which are annoying for my taste (and I guess for general taste, our ear has some physical reasons that gets irritated in long time exposure of those sounds that can cause headache). What sound interpolators do is try to recover missing frequencies by overemphasazing harmonics or/and produce harmonics from the already given audio. Those two mechanics though are very close to the result of what our brain does when we are tired, been in a loud club for long time or been drinking or using "substances", so our brain starts a procedure of revival which results in headaches etc (this weird sound you hear after a exiting a loud club, it's very very near to the aliasing artifacts sound interpolators produce). So there is a difference of sharp and loud. Catmull's highs are not less loud, they are less sharp (aliased). Catmull's result isn't loweing the volume of the highs but anti-aliase them better than Hermite. So if you prefer to hear louder highs you can just amplify them!
As for DirectSound and XAudio 2 are two different sound implementations, the audio quality difference shouldn't be any different at all but the compatibility is the factor.

Thanks. Just the little notes in the brackets in PCSX2 isn't enough information for me. Trying to make an informed decision. I'll stick with Catmull. I have been using DirectSound for a few days now and haven't noticed any compatibility problems but have noticed that it sounds slightly better, that could be placebo though. I'm currently testing XAudio 2 with 7.1 audio, seems pretty good so far (Asus Xonar DGX, Audio-Technica ATH-M50 headphones.)
The output module doesn't influence the sound quality, only latency.
And it's best to keep using XA2 on Windows, since DSound is getting phased out and all the compatibility layers make it slow.
In my opinion, just pick the interpolation method you like. Don't forget to try the de-alias filter too, which might sound good for certain games (dunno which). As for the API, use DirectSound for Windows XP, use XAudio2 for Vista+ (or use WASAPI / WDM-KS once it gets available later).

#EDIT: Ninja'd by rama.